You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-12 19:29:33

EdeWolf

[solved] e2fsck failing on non journalled ext4 partition.

I have to check an ext4 partition, that has been created without a journal. But, as it seems, now e2fsck is refusing to check this drive, failing with a "no external journal has been found" error, code 12. Well, that is true, no journal does imply also no external journal.

I found a somewhat related thread dating back to 2010 recommending the use of debugfs:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=559301

But quite some time has passed since, the bug has somewhat been claimed to be solved and since the ^has_journal option is clearly documented in both tune2fs as well as mkfs.ext manpage, there should be a less intrusive way to get the partition checked?

I mean, I did not hack anything, I have been using a well documented feature, and if those features are offered, they should work for the whole toolchain? Or what am I missing? Any way to check this without enabling a journal? Not even sure if latter would still be possible, as the partition is already marked dirty, so tune2fs may as well fail. But I would like to avoid that step, if possible, all together.

Last edited by EdeWolf (2019-03-16 09:41:47)

#2 2019-03-16 09:44:46

EdeWolf

Re: [solved] e2fsck failing on non journalled ext4 partition.

For future generations. Just in case.

Someone on the ext4 mailinglist found the culprit: The superblock was most likely corrupted as well, so the non existing journal had an inode and an UUID assigned. Setting those values to zero using the debugfs ssv option made e2fsck work.

Last edited by EdeWolf (2019-03-16 09:45:10)

Board footer