You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-17 10:33:51

chra

Massive CPU temp changes 20 deg. C when plugging/unplugging from power

When I plug my Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 6 into power to charge it or use it while plugged in the CPU temperature instantly increased 20+ degrees Celsius and the fan goes full blast. Then, when I unplug it, the CPU temperature drops that same 20+ degrees and the fan slows down. Just now my CPU temp was up at around 85-90 degrees Celsius while the computer was idle. Then I unplug the power cable and start writing this and it goes down to 60-65 degrees Celsius.

I don't understand what could be causing this to happen. Has anyone had similar issues and knows how to solve it? I am using tlp but I just change settings that seem to me like they will do what I want.

EDIT: Now down to 47 degrees Celsius 10 minutes after unplugging.

Last edited by chra (2019-03-17 13:05:46)

#2 2019-03-17 15:45:02

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Massive CPU temp changes 20 deg. C when plugging/unplugging from power

What is the CPU doing when the temperatures are high?  Run htop[ while you are on batteries, plug the system in, and see what changes.
And/or check your journal for what happens at the discontinuity.

My initial gut feeling is that something is waiting until you are are shore power to do some heavy work; what that is I've no clue.  What is your desktop environment?
Another possibility is that the processor is being heavily throttled while on batteries to reduce power.  What processor is in that machine?

Last edited by ewaller (2019-03-18 14:58:15)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2019-03-18 07:39:13

chra

ewaller wrote:

What is the CPU doing when the temperatures are high?  Run htp[ while you are on batteries, plug the system in, and see what changes.
And/or check your journal for what happens at the discontinuity.

My initial gut feeling is that something is waiting until you are are shore power to do some heavy work; what that is I've no clue.  What is your desktop environment?
Another possibility is that the processor is being heavily throttled while on batteries to reduce power.  What processor is in that machine?

I think that might have been it. I reinstalled dropbox before seeing your response. I didn't get a chance to try it properly last night but today after plugging it in it's acting fine. I'm running XFCE and I think it might have been that dropbox was stuck in an eternal loop trying to update but failing (known issue), or it was something to do with the fact that I had a systemd service for it and I had it in ~/.config/autostart at the same time since I recently moved to XFCE.

What's this htp you speak of? I've never heard of it and couldn't find it in my searches.

Last edited by chra (2019-03-18 07:39:27)

#4 2019-03-18 14:58:47

ewaller
Administrator

Typo sad  htp --> htop

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer