You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-27 09:06:06

diederick76

rsync: failed to set times: Invalid argument (22)

Hi all,

I have a daily backup script, run by cronie, that uses rsync to copy files from /srv/ to /mnt/backup. The latter is an external USB drive formatted as ext4. /srv/ is also on a ext4 partition.

rsync -aAXv --stats /srv/* /mnt/backup/srv/

This never before presented problems, but since a week or two I find messages like these in my logs for any newly added file:

rsync: failed to set times on "/mnt/backup/srv/nfs/dossiers/.20190227 De Groene Amsterdammer _ Factuur.pdf.jZvmz6": Invalid argument (22)

The file name in the log message is the name of the temporary file made by rsync. The original is the same but without the dot at the start and everything from the last dot on.

The /srv/ folder contains a few subfolders, one of which is nfs/, which is under control of the nfs-server daemon. The actual files are all owned by nobody:nobody and after copying their times at the destination are set to the time of copying, not to the time of the original, as I want.

When I run the rsync command manually as root, I get exactly the same error message in the console.

I read about others getting the same error, but they always appear to be caused by destination file systems differing from the original, such as FAT, which doesn't support Linux file attributes. I have downgraded rsync to see if an update was the cause, but that didn't help.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing here?

Thanks for any help!

#2 2019-03-27 18:19:07

arvindnair

Re: rsync: failed to set times: Invalid argument (22)

try this for more detailed look

rsync -aAXv --stats /srv/* /mnt/backup/srv/ >> rsync.log 2>> error.log 

#3 2019-03-27 20:17:57

diederick76

Re: rsync: failed to set times: Invalid argument (22)

The error.log just shows the same message:

rsync: failed to set times on "/mnt/backup/srv/nfs/dossiers/.20190227 De Groene Amsterdammer _ Factuur.pdf.8oyb4A": Invalid argument (22)
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1189) [sender=3.1.3]

The temporary filename has changed, but nothing else hmm

Is there something else I might try?

Board footer