You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-30 09:17:47

Freddie Chopin
Website

Lenovo Ideapad 330 - most of bootups end with black screen

We've bought a Lenovo Ideapad 330-15ARR (81D200DDPB) notebook recently and I tried to install ArchLinux there. This PC has AMD 3 2200U CPU and AMD Radeon Vega 3 GPU. Here's the problem - most of the bootups end with black screen. I first see the Lenovo splash logo, then there's the "starting version xxx" message from systemd, and then I would expect to see the display manager (GDM in this case). But like 80% of the time instead of the display manager I see a black screen. It is probably not "completely off", as I see that it actually is illuminated and it most likely is displaying an all-black image.

Important fact - the very same thing happens with the vanilla ArchLinux installation media (USB pendrive in my case) - it ends up with black screen most of the time.

The system is fully upgraded as of today.

When it actually boots properly everything seems to work fine and I can do whatever I want, but when it end with black screen, there is nothing I can do. I tried switching virtual TTY with Ctrl + Alt + Fx, but this just doesn't change anything. The only important thing I tried is to disable wayland for GNOME/GDM, but this did not make any difference.

Any pointers how should I get to the root cause of this problem and solve it?

Board footer