You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-04 23:52:11

jamespharvey20

Removal of python2 packages from official repos

Am I right that AUR dependencies aren't considered for whether to remove python2 packages?  (I don't think they should be considered, just asking.)

If there are AUR dependencies, should it be considered to drop the packages to the AUR (and maybe orphan) rather than delete?  Then maybe deleting if no one adopts after a certain amount of time?

Is there a way for people to get deleted PKGBUILD's and any other files along with them?  Like how there's an AUR3 archive?  If they want to add them to the AUR?

#2 2019-04-04 23:56:37

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Removal of python2 packages from official repos

From my reading there is a lot of context missing here.  Was this intended as a response to some other topic or discussion?

Are python2 packages going away?  What makes you think this?

When repo packages are dropped, they do frequently land in the AUR.  And if a package is removed from the repos and other packages that depend on it must either be adjusted to remove the dependency or also be removed from the repos.

Other than these vague and general statements, I'm not sure how your questions could be responded to as they are lacking any context.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2019-04-05 00:04:16

jamespharvey20

Sorry, it would have been better to have given the mailing list and TODO list context.  At this point, it's the python2 modules, not python2 itself.

I'm referring to the python2 module packages, as proposed and agreed to on the arch-dev-public list here: https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/a … 29475.html  (I would have replied to it, but don't have posting rights to arch-dev-public.)

And the todo list here: https://www.archlinux.org/todo/die-python2-die/

EDIT: I'm asking, because periodically people are showing up in IRC for various AUR packages they use where a dependency was deleted without being moved to the AUR.  I haven't ran into this on any AUR packages I use.  For example, there was jut someone asking about "python2-argparse".  I'm not sure which AUR package he was trying to install that has this as a dependency, but it looks like there's several.

Last edited by jamespharvey20 (2019-04-05 00:10:48)

#4 2019-04-05 00:42:57

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Moving to Arch Discussion

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2019-04-05 01:06:08

Allan
Pacman
Website

You can get the PKGBUILDs for old packages from the SVN/git repos.

#6 2019-04-05 02:35:25

jamespharvey20

Allan wrote:

You can get the PKGBUILDs for old packages from the SVN/git repos.

Through git, I've ran into not being able to obtain old PKGBUILD's, at least when entire pkgbase's are removed.  Example: community's mongodb fails (after being dropped to AUR):

git clone --single-branch --branch packages/mongodb git://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git
warning: Could not find remote branch packages/mongodb to clone.
fatal: Remote branch packages/mongodb not found in upstream origin

So, I was expecting it to fail.  And, before posting, I tried cloning branch packages/python2-argparse.  I didn't realize it was a split package, so wasn't cloning packages/python-argparse, which does of course have the history.

Mongodb's no problem, I actually have the last copy of it, just mentioning it as an example.

But, regarding the python2 modules, maybe all or at least most of them are split packages whose pkgbase will still exist.

Board footer