You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-03 10:12:11

FriedrichNietzsche

[Solved] Arch with Budgie Desktop - Unable to get desktop icons

Hi guys,

I am currently becoming more and more desperate on activating the desktop icons on Arch with Budgie desktop. I've uninstalled Nautilus, installed Nemo, copied the autostart file and did everything you'll find around the internet. But still I am not able to get nemo managing the desktop icons. Yes, there is a way to install a legacy nautilus to do that but I really want to use Nemo. What I've did is more or less summarized in this thread (not mine): https://forum.manjaro.org/t/budgie-desk … d/45289/14

Anyone of you guys managed to to that? Or at least give me a hand with debugging?

Thanks!

Last edited by FriedrichNietzsche (2019-04-07 09:11:54)

#2 2018-11-03 10:36:56

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [Solved] Arch with Budgie Desktop - Unable to get desktop icons

Please post the exact files, steps and changes from your own system. Don't expect us to wade through a thread on the board for an unrelated distribution and then taking a guess at which instructions you followed (which might be moot, since there's no way of telling if you might've made a typo while following along)

#3 2018-11-03 11:27:50

FriedrichNietzsche

What I did:

pacman -R nautilus
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons false
gsettings set org.nemo.desktop show-desktop-icons true
xdg-mime default nemo.desktop inode/directory application/x-gnome-saved-search
cp /usr/share/applications/nemo-autostart.desktop ~/.config/autostart/nemo-autostart.desktop (remove "OnlyShowIn" in the file, also tried it putting to /etc/xdg/autostart)

How the file looks like currently:

cat ~/.config/autostart/nemo-autostart.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Nemo
Comment=Start Nemo desktop at log in
Exec=nemo-desktop
X-GNOME-AutoRestart=true
NoDisplay=true

If I try to run nemo-desktop via the shell, I get following message:

** (nemo-desktop:3790): WARNING **: 12:25:05.878: Desktop already managed by another application, skipping desktop setup.
To change this, modify org.nemo.desktop 'ignored-desktop-handlers'.

But no clue how to find out, what this other desktop handler should be. I also added a whole bunch of them to the ''ignored-desktop-handlers' variable but still no luck.

Last edited by FriedrichNietzsche (2018-11-03 11:41:27)

#4 2018-11-03 22:40:49

duaner
Website

Have you tried the steps shown in this bug report (at the bottom)? Although I'd rename that executable rather than delete it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1742193

Just glancing at the source, I see that the source file for the autostart file shows a few more lines than you have. Have you tried adding "AutostartCondition=GSettings org.nemo.desktop show-desktop-icons"?

https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/blob/ … desktop.in

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nemo

#5 2018-11-04 08:40:41

FriedrichNietzsche

I've tried something similar using nautilus-legacy. Installed the latter, observed it showing the desktop icons after a reboot, then replaced nautilus-desktop in its .desktop file located in /etc/xdg/autostart with ]nemo-desktop. The desktop icons were gone again sad

Yes, my nemo-autostart.desktop also used to contain this line. But I've started stripping out lines which I've thought might have cause to problems. The AutostartCondition was one of them.

#6 2018-11-10 09:28:18

FriedrichNietzsche

So no more ideas here? smile

#7 2018-11-10 10:53:30

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Please don't bump.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#8 2019-04-07 09:06:59

FriedrichNietzsche

After ignoring the issue for a while I finally took some time and I was able to figure out whats the problem. Budgie Desktop delivers a program called budgie-helper (https://github.com/City-busz/budgie-helper). This program creates a window having the _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP property, which then causes nemo-desktop to not start.

If you add 'budgie-helper' to the ignored-desktop-handlers, nemo-desktop will always start:

gsettings set org.nemo.desktop ignored-desktop-handlers "['budgie-helper']"

Last edited by FriedrichNietzsche (2019-04-07 09:15:25)

Board footer