You are not logged in.

#26 2019-04-09 08:48:22

chrisdb

Re: [SOLVED] Java alternative

thx for all the answers,

I noticed nobody mentioned Golang for web development, although everywhere I look people praise the performance of Go compared to Python....

Failure is success in progress.
A.E.

#27 2019-04-09 09:16:07

progandy

Personally I don't like golang since it doesn't support dynamic linking even though the syntax is easy to use. Edit: It seems that has change, but that is still marked experimental...

Last edited by progandy (2019-04-09 09:26:19)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#28 2019-04-11 16:12:58

bart_vv

karabaja4 wrote:

I don't believe in the "one glove fits all" approach. Use the right tools for the right job. Some of my preferences:

Web: Node.js, ASP.NET Core, Go
Cross-platform UI: QT (C++)
Scripting: TypeScript, Bash, Python
Kernel, drivers, console apps, integrated devices: C
Mobile apps: Java, Swift
ML, science: Python

This is contrary to the very idea of "general purpose programming languages" and I mostly disagree with it. I (and I am guessing I am not the only one) want to learn one or two languages and be able to do all of those things without relearning. Learning takes time (sometimes a lot), especially if you are thorough. "Right tools for the right job" is an old one. Of course nobody should use C for web development today. Problem lies in defining what is "right" when two options are comparable. I would advise anyone to pick and invest his time wisely - based on what he wants to do.

I, for one, usually dislike weakly typed languages (js, PHP), those with unreadable syntax (bash, perl), with hundreds of small flaws, problems and poor build ecosystem (talking about you, C++...), and with overgrown or poor quality standard libraries. Every language, tool or library has its weak and strong points, but one can be way more messed up than the other. IMO Java, Python, C# are good bets, Python being best for web. But, that's only my opinion.

#29 2019-04-12 09:50:36

karabaja4
Website

bart_vv wrote:

This is contrary to the very idea of "general purpose programming languages" and I mostly disagree with it. I (and I am guessing I am not the only one) want to learn one or two languages and be able to do all of those things without relearning. Learning takes time (sometimes a lot), especially if you are thorough. "Right tools for the right job" is an old one. Of course nobody should use C for web development today. Problem lies in defining what is "right" when two options are comparable. I would advise anyone to pick and invest his time wisely - based on what he wants to do.

I, for one, usually dislike weakly typed languages (js, PHP), those with unreadable syntax (bash, perl), with hundreds of small flaws, problems and poor build ecosystem (talking about you, C++...), and with overgrown or poor quality standard libraries. Every language, tool or library has its weak and strong points, but one can be way more messed up than the other. IMO Java, Python, C# are good bets, Python being best for web. But, that's only my opinion.

You're right, it's a matter of opinion and time investment. I'd rather have the flexibility of choice than to be restricted to a specific technology.

A practical example: Say I want to do a quick web app with minimal effort, I'd choose Node.js because it's relatively easy to put together something quickly considering the large number of npm packages and libraries. If I want a scalable, high-performance web API that serves millions of requests a day I'd choose Go because of its native performance.

It all comes down to your personal preference and willingness to invest the time.

Board footer