You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-16 09:31:26

ChaoticEnigma

[SOLVED] Error building glibc with debug

Hello, I'm trying to build glibc with debugging information using the ABS.
gcc 8.2.1+20181127-1, glibc 2.28-6

Checkout glibc package:

asp checkout glibc
cd glibc/trunk

Edit PKGBUILD, adding debug option:

options=(debug !strip staticlibs) 

Build packge:

MAKEFLAGS="-j16" makepkg -s 

On two different systems (same packages, one is just a VM), this eventually fails:

gcc -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now  -nostdlib -nostartfiles -shared -o /home/chaos/build/glibc/trunk/src/glibc-build/elf/ld.so.new               \ 
          -Wl,-z,combreloc -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,--hash-style=both -Wl,-z,defs -Wl,-z,now    \   
          /home/chaos/build/glibc/trunk/src/glibc-build/elf/librtld.os -Wl,--version-script=/home/chaos/build/glibc/trunk/src/glibc-build/ld.map                \ 
          -Wl,-soname=ld-linux-x86-64.so.2                      \
          -Wl,-defsym=_begin=0                  
/usr/bin/ld: /home/chaos/build/glibc/trunk/src/glibc-build/elf/librtld.os: in function `memcpy':               
/usr/src/debug/glibc/elf/../string/bits/string_fortified.h:34: undefined reference to `__memcpy_chk'                
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/src/debug/glibc/elf/../string/bits/string_fortified.h:34: undefined reference to `__memcpy_chk'                      
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/src/debug/glibc/elf/../string/bits/string_fortified.h:34: undefined reference to `__memcpy_chk'        
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

The best I can gather, this may have something to do with _FORTIFY_SOURCE? Is this an upstream problem with glibc's build scripts? Should I try building an older version of glibc?

EDIT: glibc builds successfully without the debug option

Last edited by ChaoticEnigma (2019-04-23 00:15:55)

#2 2019-04-16 17:22:43

loqs

Re: [SOLVED] Error building glibc with debug

I am unable to reproduce the issue using `extra-x86_64-build` from devtools.
glibc 2.28-6 with options=(debug !strip staticlibs)
Note I stopped the build when it reached check succesfully.

#3 2019-04-23 00:18:53

ChaoticEnigma

Re: [SOLVED] Error building glibc with debug

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with the extra-x86_64-build script. I was eventually able to get the debug package to build by building it in a chroot.
In case anyone else finds this thread, I basically followed this page on the wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De … ean_chroot

Board footer