You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-18 20:14:26

ttoirrah

Why all the empty lines in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc?

Just curious as to why it's full of empty lines in the first and second if statements. It gets me thinking it's broken, which isn't such a bad thing as I dig in looking to understand what's going on, but it would be reassuringly "Arch", I think, if they were formatted normally, like the second and fourth if statements.

#2 2019-04-18 20:47:43

Brocellous

Re: Why all the empty lines in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc?

To me what would be most reassuringly 'Arch' is that the package files are as close as possible to their upstream source.

Thankfully, all we need to do is check the xorg-xinit PKGBUILD to find that '/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc' is dutifully installed by the upstream Makefile into the pkgdir with no extra funny business.

So why did the upstream maintainers put those empty lines there? We can only guess (unless you would like to dig through their mailing list for relevant discussion), but as it is intended to be a reference for creating your own '~/.xinitrc' perhaps the devs just thought it would be helpful to give some wide open space indicating where the user should place their site specific resources.

#3 2019-04-20 22:07:22

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

It is due to how the file gets generated. https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/app … initrc.cpp  It is treated as a .cpp and run trough the preprocessor which "messes" it up.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2019-04-20 22:47:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Brocellous wrote:

So why did the upstream maintainers put those empty lines there? We can only guess ...

As noted above, there is a cause of the blank spaces.  That doesn't make it more reasonable, though.

However, if you really look into how xinit works (and even worse startx) then this will not even make it onto the long list of total absurdities you discover.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer