You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-20 16:18:52

v0ti

[solved] reboot / shutdown hangs with squashfs

Hi guys,

i'm new to Arch Linux and i currently try to create my own live system. Everything i've installed and configured works well. The only problem is, when i'm going to shutdown or reboot my system, the system hangs for about 30sec. Everything i know is, that the last message from systemd is "reached target reboot" or "reached target power-off".

i already tested this with the current Arch Linux iso. But here everything works fine. So from my point of view it seems, that there is something i've missed to install / configure.
Could you please help me to figure out, what's the reason for this problem?

My current system config:
Arch base + base-devel
XFCE4
Grub
ArchIso
=> configured hooks: base udev memdisk archiso_shutdown archiso archiso_loop_mnt autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard keymap fsck

If you need more information, please let met know.

Kind regards

v0ti

Last edited by v0ti (2019-06-07 06:17:21)

#2 2019-04-24 05:36:50

v0ti

Re: [solved] reboot / shutdown hangs with squashfs

Hi guys,

i've tested a bit further. And now i got the same situation in my virtual environment. Is there any chance to get logs for a live system? Or is it possible to set a kind of "break point", when the system is shutting down?

Kind regards

v0ti

#3 2019-04-24 07:50:15

seth

#4 2019-04-24 09:37:27

v0ti

Hi seth,

thanks for the reply, but lmv2 is not insalled on my system. Also using shutdown hook has no effect.

I also did some further tests with systemd.debug-shell=1. When the shutdown / reboot process is running i'm still able to access the debug shell, but when the system reaches power off target, debug shell is also unusable. For me it seems, that the problem sould be located in initrd.

Is it possible to get a emergency shell, when the system is shutting down?

Kind regards

v0ti

#5 2019-04-27 14:47:58

v0ti

Hi guys,

i just did some further tests. And my last idea was, maybe it's a service that runs after the shutdown target was reached. So to get this service, i created a persistent live environment. And everything i've changed is set the workingdir / upperdir for overlayfs to a folder, which is on outside of tempfs by using cow_device and cow_directory.

Result: Everything runs fine.

From this behaviour, i get really confused. And because i don't want to have a persisitent part in my live environment, i don't have any idea, how to proceed at this point.

Is there anyone, who might give me a hint? Or has an idea, what's the reason for this?

kr
v0ti

#6 2019-06-07 06:15:47

v0ti

Hi guys,

i finally found the reason for this behaviour. There is a setting in

/etc/systemd/journald.conf

in default this setting is

[Journal]
#Storage=auto

but when i change this to

[Journal]
Storage=volatile

everything runs fine.
So i don't know if this is a known / wanted behaviour or a bug, from my point of view this should be mentioned in documentation - at least for users of a squashfs.

kr v0ti

Board footer