You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-05 00:29:56

synthead

Bizzare, intermittent touchpad movement

I got a laptop used a couple days ago, a 1.6Ghz with 3D, DVD+/-RW, firewire, s-video out, etc ... PSYCHED!  So I popped in Arch and got the system up and almost fully configured in a couple days, haha.  My geek status has gone up about four notches with this thing ...

Anyway, my Synaptics touchpad has been kinda ... unstable lately.  Like, it'll behave for a minute, then I'll lose control of my cursor.  Sometimes, when this happens, I'll have to give it a heavy touch to move, and in that case, it moves wildly fast.  If I wait a second after I realize that this is happening, it'll go back to normal.  Very interesting.  I've been using a USB mouse too ... and to be honest I don't even remember if it does the same thing or not.  So it probably doesn't, otherwise I'd remember it.

But yeah, I thought I'd post this before I opened the case up to investigate.  Has anyone had any similar problems?  It sounds very hardware-related, but ya never know.

Thanks!

#2 2006-08-05 00:43:56

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Bizzare, intermittent touchpad movement

I have very odd issues with my touchpad at the moment. It seem s to work ok but when i stop moving it it kind of shuffles about a tiny bit...but in a vague direction.  Then if I use a left/right click it will zoom off and get stuck in the corner!  Very annoying.  I am usb mouse dependent atm - very annoying!

#3 2006-08-05 00:55:11

synthead

ha ... reminds me of the time where my friend Matt was dinking around with linux ... was running RH9 at the time.  His USB mouse wasn't functional out-of-the-"box" with the OS, and he didn't know how to configure anything, so he used a PS/2 mouse for linux, and his USB mouse for windows big_smile

#4 2006-08-10 21:38:57

synthead

I hate to lay this on you guys cause I know ya'll get it all the time, but I know it's not a hardware issue now, cause it didn't do it in windows tongue

I dunno what's going on or how to fix it so it's a drag!  Nobody's seen this before?  It's just a Synaptics touchpad, I wouldn't think that it would behave so strangely.  It happens with the synaptics X driver or without, but USB mouse movement is normal.

#5 2006-08-10 23:41:52

synthead

I updated the BIOS and so far it has been behaving!  Haven't tested it out enough to say it's fixed, but if that's all it was, then ... haha.

Board footer