You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-21 02:05:39

Richards

Budgie desktop in virtual Arch machine missing many features (Solved)

I run Virtual Box 6.0.5 on an Ubuntu 16.04 host.

I have a virtual Arch machine running the Budgie desktop. I boot the desktop from the headless prompt using the "startx" command.
I also have an Ubuntu virtual machine running the Budgie desktop.

A lot of what appears in the Ubuntu Budgie desktop does not appear in the Arch Budgie desktop. Basic stuff such as the "Preferences" tab in the "Budgie Menu" where you can select "Settings" and change wallpaper and such. There is no panel on the left side of the screen in Arch.

In the "Budgie Desktop Settings" I have added "Wallpaper Switcher" to the top panel and checked the "Run Wallpaper Switcher" box. It tells me, "Applet runs without an icon" but I can't find that the applet is running anywhere.

I have installed the "Budgie-extras" but they don't seem to be available either. The Budgie desktop in the Arch virtual machine is very very basic compared to the desktop in the Ubuntu machine.

Any ideas as to what I am missing?

Richard

Last edited by Richards (2019-04-21 11:34:05)

#2 2019-04-21 03:12:25

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Budgie desktop in virtual Arch machine missing many features (Solved)

wiki wrote:

It's recommended to install its optional dependencies also to get a more complete desktop environment. It's recommended also to install the gnome group, which contains applications required for the standard GNOME experience.

Moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2019-04-21 06:25:17

Pryka

Budgie is highly depended on Gnome. You need gnome-control-center for system settings. It is best to install the whole gnome group alongside budgie-desktop.

#4 2019-04-21 11:33:34

Richards

I installed the gnome-control-center and I have a "Settings" tab now.

Thank you.

Richard

Board footer