You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-02 18:00:00

jakobcreutzfeldt

Librekontrol -- A programmable controller editor (Native Instruments!)

Librekontrol is a programmable controller editor for GNU/Linux. You use Librekontrol to (re-)define the events that occur when you interact with a controller: keyboards, gamepads, music controllers, etc. In fact, music controllers are a primary focus of Librekontrol. As such, it also provides access to hardware features defined through ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture), typically LEDs on the device. Librekontrol can also create software MIDI ports through ALSA for any configured controller.

Rather than simply offering a basic configuration system, Librekontrol is fully programmable through Guile, a dialect of the programming language Scheme.  This means that the sky is the limit with what you can do with Librekontrol: conveniently map the buttons on your device to keyboard shortcuts configured in a program, compose complex keyboard macros, or use your gamepad as a MIDI controller.

In its current state, several devices by Native Instruments (Maschine, Audio Kontrol 1, Kore, Kontrol S4/X1, etc.) are supported "out-of-the-box", or nearly so.  However, any controller that is recognized by the kernel as an input device is theoretically compatible.

Download v0.1, read the fine manual (including a tutorial), etc. here:
http://www.librekontrol.org

ps - In case you're not interested in doing the digital archaeology yourself, and to avoid necrobumping, this is a solution to a problem I reported three years ago.  Researching the problem more led me to read the kernel source for the Native Instruments caiaq module, where I found out that the devices are, indeed, serving dual roles as input devices that generate standard button and axis events and ALSA devices that feature hardware controls (LEDs), hardware MIDI in/out, and, potentially, audio in/out.  The hardware MIDI interfaces are unrelated to the MIDI events I was expecting to send over USB. Those events are almost certainly software-defined in Windows via NI's controller editor. So, Librekontrol was born as a way to tie all of this together in a similar way: software-defined re-mapping of input events, including generating MIDI events, with concomitant LED activity. But, of course, I had to make it way more flexible at the cost of being less immediately user-friendly.

Sometimes when you have a problem, only one person will fix it...you.

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2019-05-02 18:39:11)

Board footer