You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-15 14:42:18

rado84
Banned

Terminal - display all installation folders of a program?

Hi. I noticed some spelling mistakes in the translation of a program, so I wanna find the language file and edit it. But IDK where exactly are the program files. So, is there any command for terminal to list all the folders of an installed program?

Core i7-4770, GTX 1660 Ti, 32 GB RAM, Arch 6.x LTS, Cinnamon 5.2.7, GDM

#2 2019-05-15 14:45:40

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Terminal - display all installation folders of a program?

Please read the pacman manual.

Moving to Newbie Corner.

All the best,

-HG

Last edited by HalosGhost (2019-05-15 15:43:39)

#3 2019-05-18 23:46:59

ddifof

Hopefully not out of place to suggest, but

pacman -Ql $package

Should help you find the files you're looking for. You could pair it with grep or less through a pipe to filter results better.

#4 2019-05-18 23:57:48

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

ddifof,

It's not that you are out-of-place. To elaborate on the reasoning behind my post: this community of support is made up entirely of volunteers. Much of the community's effort has gone into creating documentation such that questions like rado84's can actually be answered effectively by self-research rather than needing to ask. As a result, we tend to prefer to “teach folk how to fish” rather than giving them any.

And, by using your time to hold people's hands rather than helping enable them to find their own answers, you may unintentionally and inadvertently lead those people to ask more questions of the community at-large rather than of just you.

Again, this is not to say that you are wrong to offer specific answers, just to clarify why many of the people in this community have instead dedicated themselves to writing thorough documentation and instead pointing people to resources they can use to answer their own questions. smile

Closing.

All the best,

-HG

Board footer