You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-23 05:54:50

s7hoang

pacman segfaults possibly issue with mkinitcpio?

Hey,
I've been having issues recently whenever upgrading with pacman.

Since I'm using a VM I could restore to just before the update and tried again with pacman --debug.

This seems to the the problem:

==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: aic94xx
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: wd719x
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
/usr/lib/initcpio/functions: line 356:  6095 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) modinfo -b "$_optmoduleroot" -k "$KERNELVERSION" -0 "$target" 2> /dev/null
==> ERROR: module not found: `nfs'
/usr/lib/initcpio/functions: line 356:  6109 Illegal instruction     (core dumped) modinfo -b "$_optmoduleroot" -k "$KERNELVERSION" -0 "$target" 2> /dev/null
==> ERROR: module not found: `nfsv4'
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]

I tried removing and reinstalling mkinitcpio to see if it helps but, I can't reinstall it before encountering this error again.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

#2 2019-05-24 05:58:16

s7hoang

Re: pacman segfaults possibly issue with mkinitcpio?

nevermind, think I got this.

#3 2019-05-24 06:29:58

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2019-05-30 04:25:58

s7hoang

So my solution seems to be working out pretty well.

The short version is that I used sudo pacman -S mkinitcpio --force and that seemed to fix the primary issue.  There were some secondary packages which were left segfaulting (in this case: vim and python).  I just reinstalled those packages with --force as well.

The longer version is that I followed the instructions on the archwiki for pacman section 3.6

Pacman crashes during an upgrade

And then did the force install for mkinitcpio.  I don't know if mounting the relevant directories on a live cd first made a difference.

On step 5: find /mnt/usr/lib -size 0
I found that there were several files like this mainly related to either python (2 and 3) and, linux-headers.  After trying to reinstall them - since they were empty - I just removed them and, I have not yet run into any problems.  That said I coincidentally had the opportunity to see if the files exist on a fresh install of arch and the python files did exist along with some other random empty files (also present on my build).  So, it seems they were not caused by a bad pacman upgrade.

Board footer