You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-31 20:24:08

Baitinq

[Solved] Submitting to the AUR Questions

Good morning/night,

Today I have been trying to push my own package to the AUR. So far ive followed the wiki and I was able to get it working relatively smoothly. I have a couple of questions about how to manage updating your packages. My package is linked to a github repo (it is a *-git package), does that mean that everytime I commit+push something to that repo the package is updated? (so far it hasn't been updated that way, but I thought that was what the *-git meant). Other problem i have is that whenever I update my package, the update shows up in the AUR website, but it doesnt show up in AUR helpers as yay (when performing a yay -Syu), but when I reinstall the package the updates are applied. Did I miss something in the packaging process?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Baitinq (2019-06-01 11:38:25)

#2 2019-05-31 20:33:35

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: [Solved] Submitting to the AUR Questions

If it is truly a -git package (you haven't linked it, so we have no idea), then that means every time a user rebuilds the package, it'll build the latest version (i.e., it'll build from HEAD). As a result, unless your build process changes, you do not need to update the PKGBUILD for changes you make to the repository. And no, unless you push a change of your package to the AUR, the AUR will not reflect an update. Users of -git packages are expected to follow development of the project and rebuild as-wanted/needed.

All the best,

-HG

#3 2019-05-31 21:00:06

Baitinq

Thanks for the quick reply. If I understood well then I have to update the PKGBUILD version manually for the users to be notified of a new version of the -git package? My bad for not linking the package: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/geolocate-git/

#4 2019-05-31 21:22:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Baitinq wrote:

If I understood well then I have to update the PKGBUILD version manually for the users to be notified of a new version of the -git package?

No, as stated, you do not need to update the PKGBUILD:

HalosGhost wrote:

unless your build process changes, you do not need to update the PKGBUILD

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2019-05-31 21:55:40

loqs

@Baitinq I would suggest you open a new thread asking for your PKGBUILD to be reviewed.
(not part of the PKGBUILD so would not be covered by such a review but you should not upload the source for the project itself to AUR)

#6 2019-05-31 23:31:07

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

And definitely get rid of that prepare function.  Users have the option of cleaning the directory themselves.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2019-06-01 09:03:00

Baitinq

Thanks for the feedback @Trilby, I have followed your advice regarding the PKGBUILD. I will definitely post it for review later.

Thanks again.

Board footer