You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-14 14:02:33

Moo-Crumpus

how to add files to a package

Hi, I am ill, stuck to bed since days, and was very bored. So, after doing some wiki stuff, I decided it was time to make my first package. Nothing to hard for my fevered brain, and as I like enigma (oxyd) very much, I thought it was a good start, with only little dependencies. It runs so far, packaging was quite easy. But I want to make the package a bit smarter, would like to add some menu entries etc.
Anyone any ideas how to have a package set gnome and kde menu entries? Or is this THE bad idea, and archers are supposed to do this by hand?

The interested ones may want to read my pkgbuild:

pkgname=enigma
pkgver=0.81
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Enigma is a puzzle game, formerly known on amiga and atari as Oxyd"
url="http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/"
backup=
makedepends=('bash' 'mawk')
depends=('sdl_image' 'sdl_mixer')
source=(http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~dheck/enigma-0.81.tar.gz)

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-insmod-static
  make || return 1
  make prefix=$startdir/pkg/usr install
  mv $startdir/pkg/usr/sbin $startdir/pkg
  mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/etc
}

Thank you, this was pink chick from influenca news.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#2 2004-03-14 17:32:26

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: how to add files to a package

If you like talking about Apps then Yes you have to add manually In KDE not that much of a problem...

Mr Green

Mr Green

#3 2004-03-14 17:37:48

andy

Check out
/var/abs/extra/office/openoffice/openoffice.install

Alternatively you could simply add a file $startdir/pkg/opt/gnome/share/applications/SOMETHING.destkop (adjust SOMETHING) to your package. Advantage : it will always be there, even if gnome gets installed later and it is under pacman's control. Disadvantage : the user will have a directory /opt/gnome/<more> although no Gnome installed (might be confusing).

Such small files then need to go along with the PKGBUILDS into the directory in ABS. /var/abs/base/filesystem/ is an extreme example where many files needed for the package reside inside ABS.

However, I can't say much about the general policy regarding default menu entries.

And "Gute Besserung !" ;-)

#4 2004-03-14 17:49:35

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

So are you saying that the little app icons would or could be added when you pacman app into system....?

Ich muß sein um um die einzige Weise bitten, die ich erlerne

Mr Green

Mr Green

#5 2004-03-14 18:31:55

terrapin

Pink,  IMO the menu options should be left up to the user decide and configure if they want them.

#6 2004-03-14 18:39:08

andy

Mr Green wrote:

So are you saying that the little app icons would or could be added when you pacman app into system....?

Depending how much effort you invest in a package it can do quite a bit. It can install (of course) files anywhere in the system (e.g. in the Gnome menu directory), and the post-install script is very powerful if you know shell programming.

Ich muß sein um um die einzige Weise bitten, die ich erlerne

That does not make a whole lot of sense ;-) ... automated translations are never really good...

#7 2004-03-14 19:00:56

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

There are plans to add support for the Debian menu system.  It'd mean you'd need to add a file in /usr/lib/menu.  I suggest you leave it until then.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#8 2004-03-14 20:50:19

Moo-Crumpus

Convinced to leave it in users hands, wether they want to do it by themselves or by automatics.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

Board footer