You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-09 09:04:48

thegreatrazz
Website

HP Elitebook 840 G1 - Incorrect colour palette

Hi all.

I've been trying Arch Linux on and off on various devices and decided to finally take the plunge and installed it on my daily driver, an HP EliteBook 840 G1 with Intel Graphics.

After I installed GNOME and used it as I normally would for the day, I've noticed the colour palette goes off at random. It looks as if I XORed an image on top of another in Photoshop...

Here is photo of my screen compared to a screenshot.

https://feen.us/m0e0r1.jpg
https://feen.us/v4aq6i.png

I've seen this issue on boards before (including this one... to bad I can't find it when I'm actually writing it), but they never seem to have solved the issue.

This affects both X.org, Wayland and the Linux frame buffer console. It can be temporarily fixed by quickly waiting (randomly), rapidly changing TTYs or changing the resolution back and forth (in X.org, Wayland just messes things up further).

From other boards, I've also read that it only affects the built-in display (eDP-1), but I haven't confirmed it yet (by plopping it in my dock and wait).

This is quite an inconvenience, since I prefer using Wayland, this usually means a system restart. Meaning saving my work, rebooting my laptop, opening up dev tools, make sure what I saved still compiles and then get back into the mood to do work.

Lastly, this happens on more than just Arch Linux, I've been using live environments like Clonezilla and Gparted Live to do some working around, they also suffer the same ailment.

Moderator edit.  Converted over sized images to url links

Thanks.

Last edited by ewaller (2019-06-09 15:10:12)

General nerd, experimenting with tech and whatnot
Personal Website · GitHub · Keybase

#2 2019-06-09 15:11:07

ewaller
Administrator

Re: HP Elitebook 840 G1 - Incorrect colour palette

Welcome to the Arch Linux forums.  Please be sure to read our policy with regards to large photos and images.

Thanks

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer