You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-09 03:56:40

ewaller
Administrator

Android-Studio Unable to type non-whitespace characters

This has me extremely frustrated -- to the point I considered throwing in the towel on Linux for several hundred microseconds this afternoon.

I am trying to use Android studio, but find that in the editor, any non-white space characters typed are immediately deleted by the editor.  The first occasion of which is accompanied by a pop-up error with a link to the following message:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: kotlinx.coroutines.experimental.BuildersKt.launch$default(Lkotlinx/coroutines/experimental/CoroutineScope;Lkotlin/coroutines/experimental/CoroutineContext;Lkotlinx/coroutines/experimental/CoroutineStart;Lkotlin/jvm/functions/Function1;Lkotlin/jvm/functions/Function2;ILjava/lang/Object;)Lkotlinx/coroutines/experimental/Job;
	at com.intellij.openapi.application.impl.AppUIExecutorEx$DefaultImpls.execute(AppUIExecutorEx.kt:29)
	at com.intellij.openapi.application.impl.AppUIExecutorImpl.execute(AppUIExecutorImpl.kt:24)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.AutoPopupController.runTransactionWithEverythingCommitted(AutoPopupController.java:196)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.AutoPopupController.scheduleAutoPopup(AutoPopupController.java:124)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.AutoPopupController.autoPopupMemberLookup(AutoPopupController.java:95)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.AutoPopupController.autoPopupMemberLookup(AutoPopupController.java:91)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.editorActions.JavaTypedHandler.autoPopupJavadocLookup(JavaTypedHandler.java:336)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.editorActions.JavaTypedHandler.beforeCharTyped(JavaTypedHandler.java:93)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.editorActions.TypedHandler.lambda$execute$0(TypedHandler.java:205)
	at com.intellij.openapi.editor.impl.CaretModelImpl.lambda$runForEachCaret$2(CaretModelImpl.java:349)
	at com.intellij.openapi.editor.impl.CaretModelImpl.doWithCaretMerging(CaretModelImpl.java:438)
	at com.intellij.openapi.editor.impl.CaretModelImpl.runForEachCaret(CaretModelImpl.java:341)
	at com.intellij.openapi.editor.impl.CaretModelImpl.runForEachCaret(CaretModelImpl.java:332)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.editorActions.TypedHandler.execute(TypedHandler.java:158)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.lookup.impl.LookupTypedHandler.execute(LookupTypedHandler.java:74)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.template.emmet.EmmetPreviewTypedHandler.execute(EmmetPreviewTypedHandler.java:39)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.editorActions.AutoFormatTypedHandler.executeOriginalHandler(AutoFormatTypedHandler.java:167)
	at com.intellij.codeInsight.editorActions.AutoFormatTypedHandler.execute(AutoFormatTypedHandler.java:94)
	at com.jetbrains.cidr.lang.formatting.OCAutoFormatTypedHandler.execute(OCAutoFormatTypedHandler.java:58)
	at com.intellij.openapi.editor.impl.DefaultRawTypedHandler$1.run(DefaultRawTypedHandler.java:55)
	at com.intellij.openapi.application.impl.ApplicationImpl.runWriteAction(ApplicationImpl.java:1057)
	at com.intellij.openapi.editor.impl.DefaultRawTypedHandler.execute(DefaultRawTypedHandler.java:49)
	at com.intellij.openapi.editor.impl.EditorFactoryImpl$MyRawTypedHandler.execute(EditorFactoryImpl.java:291)
	at com.intellij.openapi.editor.actionSystem.TypedAction.lambda$actionPerformed$0(TypedAction.java:130)
	at com.intellij.reporting.FreezeLoggerImpl.runUnderPerformanceMonitor(FreezeLoggerImpl.java:42)
	at com.intellij.openapi.editor.actionSystem.TypedAction.actionPerformed(TypedAction.java:130)
	at com.intellij.openapi.editor.impl.EditorImpl.processKeyTypedNormally(EditorImpl.java:1241)
	at com.intellij.openapi.editor.impl.EditorImpl.processKeyTyped(EditorImpl.java:1226)
	at com.intellij.openapi.editor.impl.EditorImpl.processKeyTyped(EditorImpl.java:3296)
	at com.intellij.openapi.editor.impl.EditorImpl$7.keyTyped(EditorImpl.java:1056)
	at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.keyTyped(AWTEventMulticaster.java:239)
	at java.awt.Component.processKeyEvent(Component.java:6503)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.processKeyEvent(JComponent.java:2833)
	at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6325)
	at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2237)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4903)
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2295)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4725)
	at java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(KeyboardFocusManager.java:1954)
	at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchKeyEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:806)
	at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.preDispatchKeyEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:1074)
	at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAssertions(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:945)
	at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:771)
	at com.intellij.ide.IdeKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(IdeKeyboardFocusManager.java:27)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4774)
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2295)
	at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2746)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4725)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:764)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:98)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:715)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:80)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:90)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:737)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:735)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:80)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:734)
	at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.defaultDispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:755)
	at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue._dispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:682)
	at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.dispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:391)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

This occurs for Android-studio 3.4.1.0 and Android-studio-beta.  I have tryied deleting all configs and profiles.  I tried rolling back, but the project I need to use seem to have been adultrated when I tried to open it under 3.4.1.10 and older versions od android-studio refuse to open it.

Any ideas?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#2 2019-06-09 17:00:40

xyproto
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: Android-Studio Unable to type non-whitespace characters

I have seen Java applications having odd behavior that has been resolved by switching DE/WM. I know it sounds a bit odd, but could you try the same thing under Xfce4 and see if the issue is still there?

#3 2019-06-09 17:06:06

ewaller
Administrator

I have been running this under i3wm.  I do not have xfce4 installed, but I have also tried this under Openbox.  Same symptoms.
I have also tried different JDKs.  I have tried 11, 8 and 7.
I am considering trying the dummy packages for the three tools packages from the AUR and letting Android Studio manage them.  Thoughts on that?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#4 2019-06-20 21:38:37

ewaller
Administrator

Serendipitously, I had a hard drive crash and had to reinstall clean.

Android-studio still failed in the manner described on a very vanilla install.   
Turing off autocomplete allowed me to type non-whitespace.

Android-studio-beta works just fine.

---

Board footer