You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-14 07:17:06

maskiepop

arch install for an old asus laptop without internet connections

I have been trying to install arch on a usb stick on my computer, to be run on an old (10 years old, perhaps more) asus laptop without internet connection; indeed is not allowed to be connected to the internet. I have no problem installing arch on the usb stick from my computer. On the target laptop, this arch boots up, allows me to login, but hangs immediately after that. My access to the laptop is rather limited -- I can't debug. I suspect my arch install is missing a few drivers.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can configure a generic archlinux, with a fairly basic gui, to run on old laptops? Or this particular old laptop?

By the way, this is not my first time to encounter this situation. Years ago, I ran into the same problem when I was in a 3rd world country. Didn't solve it then either.

Cheers,

wd

#2 2019-06-14 07:22:28

ugjka
Website

Re: arch install for an old asus laptop without internet connections

What install guide did you follow?

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#3 2019-06-14 08:24:39

NoSavvy

Is it definately a 64bit machine.??

#4 2019-06-14 12:11:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

NoSavvy wrote:

Is it definately a 64bit machine.??

He said it's 10 years old, so almost certainly (if it is was a comercially available laptop and not special embeded system, rpi, pogoplug, etc)*.

But all this doesn't really seem relevant.  Maskiepop, why/how is your access to the laptop "limited"?  If there is no network access at all, arch is certainly a bad choice - it will be *very* hard to install, particularly if you want a full desktop system as you imply, and it will be virtually impossible to maintain.

The age is irrelevant.  My computer is over 10 years old.  But no network access at all is a real problem.

There are many linux distros that would be perfectly suited to this task, but arch linux definitely isn't one of them.

*EDIT: ok, he did say "perhaps more".  Still it'd have to be a good bit more for the odds of it being 32-bit only to be noteworthy.

Last edited by Trilby (2019-06-14 12:16:18)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer