You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-15 11:59:53

bjo

Thinkpad A275: trackpoint buttons and backlight setting

Hi,

I recently bought an A275 to replace a X140e. What a nice device, but some issues appeared:

• Trackpoint Buttons do not work correctly
    - xev immediately recognizes a ButtonReleased after a ButtonPressed, which makes it possible to click, but not to mark text or middle-button-scroll.
    - proto=exps for psmouse is a workaround, than some features of the TrackPad do not work any more
    - I created a kernel bugreport

• brightness keys
    - The A275 uses amdbl0 for backlight setting, so thinkpad_acpi finds itself unresponsible for it.
    - The slider at the battery icon in XFCE did just nothing until I installed acpi_light which is a dropin for xbacklight.
    - using acpi_backlight=vendor did not help, now the brightness was completely unconfigurable
    - Changing the brightness via the slider and also via xbacklight worked then.
    - Pressing brightness up shows a "full brightness" notification and brightness down results in nothing.
    - acpilisten shows the events are recognized, I can also add them as XF86MonbrighnessUp etc. in the keyboard settings, but I wonder what is setting the "full brightness" when pressing the brightness up key.
    - So the question is: Does XFCE by default listen for XF86Monbrightness and does something with no effect?
    - Or are these keys somehow handled by thinkpad_acpi and thinkpad_acpi tries to do something with no effect because it is not responsible for brightness?

Edit: Rewritten after complaint

Last edited by bjo (2019-06-15 12:37:23)

#2 2019-06-15 12:09:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Thinkpad A275: trackpoint buttons and backlight setting

Please see the how to post guide in the wki, particularly points 1, 3, and 4 as well as the section on rants.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2019-06-15 12:25:24

bjo

Re: Thinkpad A275: trackpoint buttons and backlight setting

Thanks for your reply, I rewrote the post and removed the rant.

Board footer