You are not logged in.

#6576 2019-06-14 16:54:41

DarkWav

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everyone smile

I'm DarkWav, my jurney of Linux started, as for many others, at Linux Mint and Cinnamon, and quickly went on to Manjaro and KDE. In the end I ultimately wanted more control, went on to their Architect edition, and now finally landed on Arch installed with default archiso, yet I'm still using KDE, but on arch its now close to bloatless (no pim suite and other stuff I never use anyway). Yes. I do need EVERY feature of Plasma 5 lol (yAY eYE cAnDY gIvE mE mORe!!1!1!) I also use openSUSE Tumbleweed simultainiously on my 2nd SSD, I really like it aswell.
So far everything works fine, though I already experienced issues with some software developers releasing broken software and it moving into the Arch Repos, that's also why I'm running a BtrFS root partition w/ snapshots right now.
I really like how all the stuff from Nvidia (drivers, cuda, tensorflow, ect) works so flawlessly and hassle-free here.
I'm not so much into minimalism (although I like the idea), but I'm an absolute configurability-fanatic.
I don't put special emphasis on using only open-source software. It just needs to work and not publicly sell my data.
Period. Also I'm running the Intel ME anyway tongue.

So I'm hoping to have a great time here, so far everything looks promising.

Last edited by DarkWav (2019-06-14 16:56:35)

#6577 2019-06-15 21:49:31

cynicfm
Banned

Hey

I am very excited that i can post here and introduce myself in Arch Linux forum : ))). I have dreamt of installing and using this distro many years ago, finally after about two years of linuxing i gained some basic knowledge that made this possible.

My name is Filip and i am 24, i have been full time linux user for about two years, been distro hopping for long time, started with Fedora, then ended up using non systemd distros like Devuan Artix Obarun, however my main purpose why i decided to quit Windows for Linux is because i play lots of games and i realised that OS which doesn't consume much resources is better for this therefore i thought that if Windows consumes about 50% ram while i was playing Diablo 3 then i was sure that linux must be better than Windows. In the meantime i decided to delete my blizzard and steam account to have more time for getting into open-source games, although i own lots of windows single player games (physical copies).

After all i read many posts about systemd good or bad, because i am new to linux not administrator i can't really say if it's good or bad, my goal at first was to get some lightweigh distro to get better performance while playing games, so after two years of switching distros, i have installed Arch Linux for second time today, at the moment i am using just openbox session and i can't wait to get into Arch Wiki big_smile. Perhaps the main reason why is that i am not really fan of out of the box, cuz i may get decent distro but then i feel like i was using windows but lighter!!!

Thanks for this distribution, i only hope that i am gonna stay there for long time and before something bad happens i will be able to complete several games here on Arch Linux smile.
I'm also excited that i can post in here too and gain knowledge about Linuxing, read wiki to become better and more clever person... I would like to try Gentoo someday in the future, i treat Arch Linux as something where i can start teach myself about linux

Thanks for your time smile

BTW. at the moment i am in poland and there is some really bad thunderstorm here, it's raining.

Last edited by cynicfm (2019-06-16 16:39:32)

Have a good day

#6578 2019-06-17 23:10:53

cactux

Greetings folks,

Living just outside the Mojave desert in a little town called Las Vegas for the past 10 years. I was a bench tech from 2000-2010 for a computer rental company back east. A+, Network+ certified, and Windows NT4 MCSE. After a Knoppix disc found it's way into my tech kit around 2004 I installed Red Hat (before it became Fedora) before settling on Ubuntu from 2006-2016, I hopped around a bit and briefly switched over to Mint, and then settled on Manjaro now for a couple of years before installing Arch. I enjoy learning about Linux more and more each day. I'm not exactly sure how I will fare out here on the bleeding edge but I am very grateful to enter this new dimension.

Cheers,
Cactux

Put a jazz band on my hearse wagon.

#6579 2019-06-20 01:50:55

punkrockguy318
Website

Arch rules

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#6580 2019-06-20 03:37:24

jaemnkm
Website

Hi

#6581 2019-06-25 00:22:18

ngmjr
Website

Hi everyone,
I'm ngmjr, from Brazil, and I have been using Linux for the past year or so. I started with Ubuntu then quickly changed to Manjaro XFCE and stayed there quite a while. Eventually I wanted to try something new and moved to Manjaro i3, which drove me to learn Linux systems a lit more intimately. I'm looking to make the move to Arch in the near future to consolidate what I've learned so far, and will probably use the this forum quite a bit for the upcoming hurdles. Hope to see you guys around. Cheers!

#6582 2019-06-27 17:25:14

Bojahdok

Hi everyone !

I installed Arch few days ago and I absolutely love it !
(even if it took me at least 4 hours xD)

I'm hoping that i'll be able to help in the future !

#6583 2019-06-29 08:55:00

daufinsyd

Hello smile

I'm daufinsyd from France and I'm using ArchLinux on my main system for 2 years now (+2 years with manjaro).
I switched to ArchLinux mainly to get a better understanding of the GNU/Linux system (and I love having latest software ;-) ) and to avoid having a bloatted system.
My very first distribution was an Ubuntu 08.10 10 years ago yikes .
I tried many distributions (mainly Debian based) and it's still amazing how stable is ArchLinux for a daily usage ! smile
So thanks for the community/devs/admin ; I hope I'll have the opportunity to get involved ^^
see you smile

#6584 2019-07-08 13:44:50

merlock

Was happily running Manjaro for over a year.  Dev decided to get in bed with Canonical/Ubuntu.

So, here I am.

Shoutout to my pal @c00ter.

Eenie meenie, chili beanie, the spirits are about to speak -- Bullwinkle J. Moose
It's a big club...and you ain't in it -- George Carlin
Registered Linux user #149839
perl -e 'print$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10); '

#6585 2019-07-08 14:36:00

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Bojahdok wrote:

(even if it took me at least 4 hours xD)

Sounds reasonable - my first install took me 3 days wink

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#6586 2019-07-08 14:42:16

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I think my first install took about a year.  Step 0 "WTF?!" rage quit.  Step 0, Step 1 "WTF?!" rage quit.  Repeat periodically until all steps were completed.  Boot to a command prompt and have no idea what to do.  Reinstall crunch bang.  Repeat several more times.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6587 2019-07-08 14:45:31

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

At least you didn't rage quit at the stage where yaourt fails to build some AUR package.

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#6588 2019-07-08 16:47:26

cynicfm
Banned

My first attempt to install Arch Linux was 4 years ago i used ubuntu on some 20$ PC from ebay but wanted something more from the operating system so i downloaded arch linux and went on wiki to see how to install it and first command i typed to the notepad was fdisk -l and then i remember what the hell is this it's some list what does it have to do with installing Arch so i realised i am too stupid for this came back to ubuntu then windows xp to run some old games and finally this pc has died, so 3 years ago i have been given new laptop cuz i wanted to play games like Diablo 3 or Runescape but i didn't like how bloated Win10 was so decided to ditch it to get better performance while playing Diablo 3 so i deleted windows 10 an year later and been trying new Linux distros.

Then i came up with some Arch Linux without systemd distro called Artix and there was very friendly guy on forums who explained me how partitioning operate and taught me things so that made things easier, my new distros had proper partitioning, back then i had everything in one partition ( root and home folder) then been trying other Arch Linux distros and well... There was obarun where i had to mount partitions manually during installation so that made things more clear to me...
And then the same person wrote me whole command list about how to install Arch Linux using some cp -ax /mnt command and then grub etc. i managed to get arch linux running back then and installed LXDE however i had used something else back then and i didn't have mind for configuring everything so i haven't used arch linux for that period of time only arch based and that was like 8 months ago and since then i became more familiar with arch + linux and partitions on the laptop was mess so month ago i decided to get blank cd from shop and i was satisfied that i don't need dvd rw for arch .iso... i hope it's gonna be this way

So following my dream that i had 4 years ago about using arch linux, 3 weeks ago i bought blank cd-rw and decided to tidy partitions, create proper partitioning and install Arch Linux, this time i used pacstrap command... And the installation is not so hard after all, i still don't know how to change keyboard layout, but i have got lots of apps installed now and laptop runs like a charm
And i don't really play Diablo 3 anymore and well i only play wesnoth from time to time, but my computer usage back then when i was on windows was limited to just playing games and ripping music cds in .wav and listening to it, now i am more into image/video editing, linuxing of course and i started to read Linux from scratch book.pdf + i look forward to gain knowledge about programming/bash scripting and also being on Linux taught me many many things and i still want learn more, so ditching windows for linux was the best decision i made and having Arch Linux installed as well as using it is like a personal achievement to me also i don't play games so much like i used to, i started to read more books!! big_smile
Oh and i wouldn't be able to get Arch Linux running if using other Arch based distros didn't  force me to use chroot, so after i learned how to create partitions + how they operate then mount them properly (mkdir and mount) and then basics of pacman and what i need to get stuff running like xorg and some window manager then grub update + other stuff like time locale and keyboard layout and that it's pretty much it. I possess this knowledge know and i am proud of myself after all, that i didn't waste this time for some stupid games but i started to learn Linux instead and now i have got Arch Linux up and running smile

Have a good day

#6589 2019-07-08 19:50:39

Khaotic

Hi. Not so new Arch user reporting in. Hopped between distros for a long time, but always came back to Arch. This time decided to stay and join the community to see what is up, maybe contribute something and learn a lot more. Hope to have a lot of fun. Also joined IRC channel with a similar nick - KhaoticKosmos.

Last edited by Khaotic (2019-07-08 19:50:56)

#6590 2019-07-08 21:54:28

Chadman
Website

Hi guys, I have a feeling I'm going to be browsing these parts of the web quite a bit the next couple of months, as I've just sucesfully installed Arch Linux for the first time. I have a bit of a funky internet setup (3G modem, that does wifi), and a nordic keyboard, so the process wasn't entirely painless.
Anyhow, I thought it appropriate to introduce myself, and whilst at it, ask a few newbie questions, if you don't mind?

I'm a 31 year old male from Denmark, I like minimalism, web development (html, css, js, php, go, etc), and other stuff that's not important in this context.

So far, I've been unable to get sound working. Unfortunetly, I can't really give you any details about my system in regards to my audio hardware, besides that I'm using the onboard sound.. thing (chip?) on my motherboard.

I've also been unable to start xfce4 automatically after login. I did read up on it, but were unsure of where to do what. xfce4 isn't a deal breaker for me, but I would prefere a graphical user interface for webpages, images, etc.

I've tried out lightdm, but wasn't able to login with it, as my password contains a Å, and couldn't figure out how to enable a Danish keyboard layout with lightdm. Besides, I considder lightdm bloat.

Anyhow, I hope you will suffer my precense, and I will try and not be too much of an entitled a hole myself. smile

Last edited by Chadman (2019-07-09 09:48:34)

#6591 2019-07-08 23:39:38

cynicfm
Banned

@Chadman

I have got sound configured properly by just installing alsa. If you type

pacman -Ss alsa

(it is a command that functions like a search) you get every package available in Arch repositories that is related to alsa, so have you installed

alsa-firmware alsa-lib alsa-plugins alsa-utils lib32-alsa-lib

???
I am fan of using pure alsa without installing pulseaudio stuff, i stay away from it.
About the lightdm, i first installed sddm for lxQt desktop, right now i use it to boot into kde/plasma desktop.

Sorry for the offtopic here in this topic, i don't want it to happen again. Thanks

edit: ps don't forget to create new user if you haven't already, so you don't have to log in as root.

@down moderator

Yeah i know this is why i wrote this post but i don;t mind if it gets deleted, thanks.

Last edited by cynicfm (2019-07-08 23:45:22)

Have a good day

#6592 2019-07-08 23:41:34

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

This is not a support thread.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#6593 2019-07-09 06:35:50

mrtok
Banned
Website

cynicfm wrote:

@Chadman

I have got sound configured properly by just installing alsa. If you type

pacman -Ss alsa

(it is a command that functions like a search) you get every package available in Arch repositories that is related to alsa, so have you installed

alsa-firmware alsa-lib alsa-plugins alsa-utils lib32-alsa-lib

???
I am fan of using pure alsa without installing pulseaudio stuff, i stay away from it.
About the lightdm, i first installed sddm for lxQt desktop, right now i use it to boot into kde/plasma desktop.

Sorry for the offtopic here in this topic, i don't want it to happen again. Thanks

edit: ps don't forget to create new user if you haven't already, so you don't have to log in as root.

@down moderator

Yeah i know this is why i wrote this post but i don;t mind if it gets deleted, thanks.

###----------------

bunch of crap ain't it Chadman?
think some of the mods here on the forum and irc need to go do something else and leave people alone
you weren't doin a 'support deal' you were sharing an experience, a 'newbie' experience to others,
yet the asshole admin had to jump in all bad ass like and shit on your sharing

it's really odd to me that the later generation of linux users act like this crap, i see it all the time now
they do what microsoft used to do to our computers, control everything

tell ya what admins, if half of ya left this forum right now, or simply quit, folks around here would probably talk more
share more and can tell ya right now arch would get a lot better faster, coz that's what linux is it's the people

ya shit all over arch so much your known for it, on a lot of social sites, including youtube etc

what's funny is ya want to act like ya built linux when in fact you do a lot of datamining yourselves

why ya on freenode? why not run your own actual IRC server?

almost all of linux is on that shithole irc server which is one datamining botnet after the other

i don't give a shit what ya do with this post or my account, shove it up your ass if ya want

and btw, ya don't see this type of crap of gentoo forum, hardly ever

i'm arch till i drop but you should maybe go to the gentoo forum lugnut school for a few days or go smoke a joint

have a good day asshole admin  wink

sincerely, mrtok

ps shove the http refererheader up your ass too fux sake

github dot com/tokzco

#6594 2019-07-09 07:22:28

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6595 2019-07-09 08:35:50

Chadman
Website

@cynicfm
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out alsa, much appreciated. smile

Don't worry, I'd never use the root for anything but setting up the system. I should read more into user groups and such. Wheel is quite the odd name for a user group, I wonder why it's called that.

Looks like I only have alsa-lib & ita-alsa-pcmi installed.

The wiki says Arch detects my hardware and installs the necessary components to get audio going, so it should work out of the box, it also says that all audio channels are muted by default, why it's muting the channels by default is beyond my comprehension. Anyhow, I'll look into un-muting my channels later, right now, I need to help my mother with shopping.

@mrtok
Well, that was uncalled for..

@2ManyDogs
I wasn't seeking support, I were merely trying to make conversation. I do see why/how you could misinterpret my introduction as such though. I was assuming this thread wasn't purely for introduction messages, but also for small talk between new users such as myself, and you forum veterans. The original post wasn't really clear about this. I were originally making a new topic, but then I saw this one, and felt it more appropriate to post here instead.

Last edited by Chadman (2019-07-09 10:57:58)

#6596 2019-07-09 14:13:12

ewaller
Administrator

Chadman wrote:

I wasn't seeking support, I were merely trying to make conversation. I do see why/how you could misinterpret my introduction as such though. I was assuming this thread wasn't purely for introduction messages, but also for small talk between new users such as myself, and you forum veterans.

Fair enough.  I think what drew the response was that there was a technical response to your post and the moderation team indicated that this is not the thread for that and wanted to put it back on the rails.   If you are having problems, please feel free to create a support thread in the appropriate sub-forum.   The reason for this is that someone doing research trying to solve the problem in the future is not going to want to, nor should they be required to, read through a conversation thread.   Just want to provide some insight to what makes us tick.

I have no idea what set off mrtok O_o

Last edited by ewaller (2019-07-09 14:13:42)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6597 2019-07-09 14:19:02

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

ewaller wrote:

Clearly the phase of the moon triggered a hormonal response. Use computers long enough, and that's what you get!

Last edited by Alad (2019-07-09 14:21:58)

#6598 2019-07-09 14:20:42

cynicfm
Banned

Yeah i agree that question should go to support thread i am sorry that i reply
I think you need alsa firmware first then if you have got problems with sound you type alsamixer in terminal and if you have MM under bars then the sound is muted 00 is okay, you change it with m button.
Sorry again for writing offtopic here, it's my last post in this thread.

Have a good day

#6599 2019-07-09 17:16:50

Chadman
Website

ewaller wrote:

Fair enough. I think what drew the response was that there was a technical response to your post and the moderation team indicated that this is not the thread for that and wanted to put it back on the rails. If you are having problems, please feel free to create a support thread in the appropriate sub-forum. The reason for this is that someone doing research trying to solve the problem in the future is not going to want to, nor should they be required to, read through a conversation thread. Just want to provide some insight into what makes us tick.

It's kind of a catch 22. I figured the highest chance of me getting a conversation going were to talk about technical issues, and a question were more likely entice a response.
The response is of course going to have a technical nature to it, but the technical aspect of the response should not be the focus point.
The point were to get a casual conversation going.

In other words: My post were not strictly about the technical aspect, but more about having a casual conversation about technical issues.
For people like me, these kinds of casual conversations are much more enticing.

I'm relatively new to Arch Linux, so I'm bound to have a lot of issues, most of which can be solved on my own if I just read through the wiki carefully, if the wiki fails, the next step is to search the forum for threads regarding the issue.
However, I do like to converse with other people about my experience of the issue in a casual manner, mostly for the socialization aspect itself.
This is not something I can do RL, I have to turn to places like these to have these kind of conversations.

If any future conversations of mine were turn into a issue/solution the staff thinks should be a part of the technical Q&A part of the forum, please do let me know, and I'd be more than happy to reformat the conversation into a thread of it's own under the appropriate sub-forum.

cynicfm wrote:

Yeah i agree that question should go to support thread i am sorry that i reply
I think you need alsa firmware first then if you have got problems with sound you type alsamixer in terminal and if you have MM under bars then the sound is muted 00 is okay, you change it with m button.
Sorry again for writing offtopic here, it's my last post in this thread.

Don't apologize. You were merely being kind, and responsive. You did a good thing. If anybody is at fault for any kind of inappropriate behavior, it is me. I were the one who wanted the response you gave me, and it was purely for selfish reasons. I for one would like to thank you for responding, and I do hope we can continue our conversation smile

---

About mrtok. It's a meme at this point, I've heard the exact same message several times before. "Arch forum/IRC staff is a bunch of fascist, that just want to control your behavior, and the gentoo community is MUCH better!"

Just makes me want to stay away from the gentoo community to be honest. Screaming and yelling about unfair treatment is not the kind of behavior I would classify as constructive behavior, and quite frankly reminds me of groups like ANTIFA, but I digress, this place is not about such issues, as far as I know.

Last edited by Chadman (2019-07-09 17:22:22)

#6600 2019-07-10 04:30:20

mookiemilkyway

[Deleted]

Last edited by mookiemilkyway (2019-07-26 08:59:43)

Board footer