You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-18 16:54:40

MinusPL

Is there a way to separate microphone jacks?

Hi, I'm completely new both to arch as to linux, but there's always time to experience something different.

I've been using for a few days arch linux. Of course some things just decided to not work properly, but by some research and few tries I've got stable and properly working install now.
My current problem is actually a little bit harder to overcome.
I wanted to separate both microphone inputs (front and rear panel) as separate audio devices.
I've installed KDE Plasma and alsa, other utilities too.
I can change volumes, everything works fine, but I cannot find a way to separate both microphone jacks as standaolne devices.
I know it is possible with my current hardware.

alsa reports that I have 3 recording devices:
- Creative Soundblaster X-FI
- HDA SB Analog stereo
- HDA SB Alt Analog Stereo

When I check I see that HDA SB is done via Realtek ALC888 chip.
Is it even possible to make these both jacks to work as separate inputs? I really need that setup.
Soundblaster has damaged microphone inputs and I need two microphone jacks working.

Thank for any information and help.
If you need some more information just write it - I'll try to give you that as soon as possible smile

#2 2019-06-18 17:55:02

kinru

Re: Is there a way to separate microphone jacks?

There is a way to do this- but I am NOT an expert. I use JACK which I know is capable of this.
I recommend reading https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/JA … ACK2_D-Bus, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Professional_audio and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sound_system

Are you using Pulseaudio for your audio playback?
Can you please post the output of "aplay -l"

I don't us KDE so some clarification is needed.

Last edited by kinru (2019-06-18 17:58:28)

#3 2019-06-18 17:57:36

qinohe

I see you have installed alsa, you may want to try pulseaudio and use pavucontrol to control your volume of your different devices, I give you a good chance it will work.
There's also jack (JACK Audio Connection Kit) with cadence though, I have no totally experience with that, but people have success with it...

edit:Ninjad

Last edited by qinohe (2019-06-18 17:58:21)

#4 2019-06-18 18:01:06

MinusPL

Well I'll try to somehow give you this information (soundblaster just reports a lot of subdevices) but it will be added to this post in 15-20 minutes.

I think that output of "aplay -l" wouldn't change anything in this case, because this would be list of playback devices. I need to separate input (capture) ones. So I'll give you also "arecord -l" devices.
I'll read both pages linked.

aplay output: https://pastebin.com/kfn1RXAp
arecord output: https://pastebin.com/ASr2pQwK

Last edited by MinusPL (2019-06-18 18:09:31)

#5 2019-06-18 18:37:34

kinru

I will need some information. In your output of "arecord -l", card 0 is your dedicated sound card, I assume. If this is so, what is card 1 representing? Does your motherboard have some  integrated sound chip/card? If it is possible can you tell where the front or rear mic jacks connect within the computer; do they connect directly to the motherboard or also to the sound card?

Also it may be useful to know the output of "amixer -c 0" and "amixer -c 1"

What is the purpose of separating the inputs? (perhaps there is a better way of solving the underlying issue)

#6 2019-06-18 18:46:29

MinusPL

Oy yeah, I forgot to add that info:

My default card is Creative Soundblaster X-Fi - used only as output, since it has damaged input jacks and I didn't have time to fix that.
Other card is built-in Realtek ALC888 chip based. Don't know which one exactly, but it is using Intel's HD Audio definitions.
To this Realtek one I've connected both microphones. One connected to rear panel now is working properly, but I'd like to use also front panel connector. I know that with standard front panel cable It will sense it and won't allow me to use both of them (at least that's how it was working in Windows - there was option i realtek driver to actually separate both jacks and to make them as if these were completely different inputs in one device).

If it is needed I can add this "sense" part to my cable to trick the computer and allow it to see that microphone in jack in front panel is actually connected. (Right now it is telling me that I have it unplugged, but I thought that there could be some option like "turn off auto detection".
Maybe that's whole issue here?
I'll try with standard HD era front panel connector (I should have some lying arround) and check if proper sense circuit makes any difference.

Board footer