You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-14 15:11:13

ThomasN

[SOLVED] Error loading \vmlinuz-linux: not found

This is my first time trying to install Arch.

I tried following the instructions in the installation guide. I'm using systemd-boot on this Asus r209ha laptop.

However, when I try to boot into my installation, I get this:

Error loading \vmlinuz-linux: not found

My first thought was that it was odd that there's a \ instead of a / there, so I chrooted into my new system again and checked /boot/loader/entries/arch.conf. It is:

title       Arch Linux
linux      /vmlinuz-linux
initrd     /intel-ucode.img
initrd     /initramfs-linux.img
options  root=PARTUUID=410b225d-ea4b-4d72-9d8e-2c9db5a273dd rw

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by ThomasN (2016-09-14 17:22:45)

#2 2016-09-14 15:20:32

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Error loading \vmlinuz-linux: not found

From the install media, mount your boot partition on /mnt and verify that vmlinuz-linux exists in the mount point.  ( ls -l /mnt )

When you chrooted into the system, are you sure that the boot partition was mounted on /boot  ?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-09-14 15:33:53

ThomasN

When mounting my boot partition on /mnt from the install media, 'ls -l /mnt' shows only the directories 'EFI' and 'loader' and the file 'intel-ucode.img'.

When I chrooted, I mounted the boot partition on /boot using 'mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot'.

mmcblk0p1 is the EFI-partition I created earlier in the installation process.

#4 2016-09-14 15:37:45

poisonby

ThomasN wrote:

When mounting my boot partition on /mnt from the install media, 'ls -l /mnt' shows only the directories 'EFI' and 'loader' and the file 'intel-ucode.img'.

When I chrooted, I mounted the boot partition on /boot using 'mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot'.

mmcblk0p1 is the EFI-partition I created earlier in the installation process.

If you mounted your root partition to /mnt, then you should've mounted the boot partition to /mnt/boot, not /boot. What you should do is boot the live USB, mount your root partition to /mnt and your boot partition to /mnt/boot, chroot in and then:

pacman -S linux

And then make sure that vmlinuz-linux is present.

Transhumanist, amateur programmer and Linux enthusiast.

#5 2016-09-14 15:40:33

ewaller
Administrator

Well, that is the problem.  The next question is, why is vmlinuz-linux missing?   if you unmount the boot partition, then mount the root partition on /mnt, look in /mnt/boot.  It should be empty.
I'm guessing you will find the missing kernel there.  If so, you can mount the boot partition somewhere (not /mnt/boot) and move the files.

Alternately, reestablish the chroot environment with the root partition on /mnt and the boot partition on /mnt/boot, and install the linux package.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#6 2016-09-14 15:41:40

ewaller
Administrator

poisonby wrote:

If you mounted your root partition to /mnt, then you should've mounted the boot partition to /mnt/boot, not /boot.

Be aware that they are doing what I asked them to do for diagnostic purposes.

---

#7 2016-09-14 16:06:12

ThomasN

Thanks a lot. The necessary files were indeed on the root partition, instead of the boot partition. Moving the files solved it. I have a working install!

#8 2016-09-14 16:30:33

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#9 2019-07-02 08:10:03

oxwivi

By the way, is having two entries in the boot menu after installing systemd-boot normal? I've two entries on my HP laptop after installing bootctl, Linux Boot Manager and EFI HDD Device. I also can't recall if the latter is HP firmware scanning for EFI devices either, but allow me to throw it out here.

#10 2019-07-02 08:15:24

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Don't hijack threads, especially solved ones: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … _hijacking

Closing

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer