You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-11 05:20:00

xlightningz

Can't mount USB drive but works on other computer

Hi,

I'm installing Arch Linux on a new computer and ran into a problem that hasn't come up for me before.

I used the simple `dd` method to copy the .iso file to the USB drive, and I confirmed that I can boot from that USB drive on another computer. When I try to boot from it on my new laptop, a Dell Latitude E7440, all goes well until it attempts to mount `/dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201907`. The error message is: `ERROR: '/dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201907' device did not show up after 30 seconds`. I have looked around the forums and found that this is usually caused by the volume label being incorrect, but that is not the case here.

Using the fallback shell prompt, `ls /dev/` shows `sda` and `sda1`, which should be the built in hard drive. I do not see any other `sd` devices, leading me to believe that the flash drive isn't visible from within the installation media, for some reason. Similarly, `ls /dev/disk/by-label`, only displays my windows partitions.

Has anyone run into this issue before? I'm happy to provide more information but am not sure what to do next to troubleshoot. I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2019-07-11 14:27:57

SpaceshipOperations

Re: Can't mount USB drive but works on other computer

Just to be sure, did you `dd` the ISO into the USB device itself (e.g. /dev/sdb) or into a partition on the USB device (like /dev/sdb1)? If you did the latter, it won't work. The computer's UEFI/BIOS would correctly detect and boot up the live system (giving you the illusion that it works if you tried it briefly on another computer), but when the live system reaches the stage when it tries to find the installation media to mount its squashfs, it will get stuck with this "did not show up after 30 seconds" error.

You need to `dd` the ISO into the device itself (just `/dev/sdX`, no number after that) in order for the Arch live system boot up process to detect it properly. This will overwrite the device's partition table and destroy any other partitions you may have on it, so be sure to back your data first up if you have any.

Last edited by SpaceshipOperations (2019-07-11 15:48:53)

#3 2019-07-11 15:19:48

xlightningz

I'm sure I used /dev/sdb as the target of dd. On my other computers, booting to the USB drive gets past mounting the file system and all the way to the arch linux shell prompt.

#4 2019-07-11 15:27:11

V1del
Forum Moderator

While the error shows up, unplug and replug your stick again, see https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=241437 for a similar example.

#5 2019-07-11 15:45:45

xlightningz

V1del wrote:

While the error shows up, unplug and replug your stick again, see https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=241437 for a similar example.

This doesn't seem to do anything for me. I tried it a few times but it never finds the device.

#6 2019-09-02 13:17:29

bleeeeeeep

Could you please try and check IF the ISO name is the *same* as the PARTITION name?
Not sure if it's related to your issue, but I remember troubles with SysRescueCD time ago and I solved using PARTLABELNAME=ISONAME.

See: http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/Install … USB-stick/

Create a FAT32 partition with at least nGB on the USB device and set SYSRCDXYZ as the filesystem label

rrrunninggg arrrch rrreally faaast

#7 2019-09-02 18:31:00

loqs

When you remove and replug the device is any new dmesg output created?

Board footer