You are not logged in.

#6601 2019-07-10 08:25:53

nelefa

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

printf("Hello World!\n");

I'm an Arch noob. Not exactly a UNIX / GNU/Linux noob, though. I've been sysadminning since the late 80s (I'm old) on a variety of platforms from Sun, SGI, IBM, etc, running a wide range of interesting UNIXen, including but not limited to SunOS/Solaris, 4.[3|4]BSD, AIX, IRIX, HPUX as well as Intel-based systems - more BSDs, Minix, SCO UNIXware etc. An honourable mention goes to my 'first' UNIX - 4.3BSD on a VAX/750 at the tender age of 16 :)

My first GNU/Linux was SLS - something that's not unlike Arch in philosophy, although that was mostly due to there not BEING any tools around. Want X? Calculate a modeline for your monitor :) Can't remember what year I started with SLS, but the kernel version was 0.97pl15. So a late-starter as far as GNU/Linux is concerned. Then there was the usual progression through MCC, Slackware etc.

I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to give Arch a try as it fits in very nicely with my tendency to streamline things and pushes all my 'cut out the bloat' buttons, but here I am :)

John

#6602 2019-07-10 23:52:31

BrotherDaniel

Hello, everyone!  Unlike Mr. Nelefa above me (or do you prefer John, sir?)  I very much am an arch/linux newbie (heck I was born in the late eighties, not a sysadmin haha)  I was actually a lifelong mac user (all we had in the house even before they were popular - I hated it as a kid because it meant no computer games for me)

But around last fall I started to wake up to how bothered I was all along by the lack of control and even knowledge of what my own system(s) were doing.  To make a long story short, I distro-hopped like a madman for 7 or 8 months and had this kind of back of my mind goal of just meeting the challenge of successfully figuring out and navigating the Arch install process. 

Then one day a couple months ago I rebooted my laptop, removed the install media, and.......  holy crap it's booting.  Wait, so I guess this thing is running Arch now!  Ok!  Haven't looked back since.  In fact, the only reason it's taken me this long to introduce myself is the documentation is so great and when I do have a question, a search always seemed to reveal someone else having had a similar question before.

But knowing how much participation is encouraged - and wanting to put myself in a better position to give something back in the future - I decided enough was enough and to get on here and say hey and that I hope I am able to contribute in meaningful ways to this awesome project/community. 

Live lightly, friends!

--BrotherDaniel
(aka BroDan)

"I'm going to smile, and my smile will sink down into your pupils, and heaven knows what it will become."

#6603 2019-07-11 06:58:56

nelefa

BrotherDaniel wrote:

Hello, everyone!  Unlike Mr. Nelefa above me (or do you prefer John, sir?)  I very much am an arch/linux newbie (heck I was born in the late eighties, not a sysadmin haha)  I was actually a lifelong mac user (all we had in the house even before they were popular - I hated it as a kid because it meant no computer games for me)

Hey Dan,

John is just fine - Sir is my boss smile I know what you mean about the documentation - it's extremely thorough. I'm now about 24 hours in to my Arch journey, have a sleek, fast, working system with no cruft on it, and for the first time in over a decade I'm actually excited about a GNU/Linux distro smile Nice to meet you smile

John

#6604 2019-07-11 13:58:50

ewaller
Administrator

nelefa wrote:

I've been sysadminning since the late 80s (I'm old) .... An honourable mention goes to my 'first' UNIX - 4.3BSD on a VAX/750 at the tender age of 16 smile

Bah!  That puts the upper limit off your age at 54.  Not that old; your beard is probably just turning grey wink
Several of us have you beat wink

Welcome to Arch.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6605 2019-07-11 17:23:40

nelefa

ewaller wrote:
nelefa wrote:

I've been sysadminning since the late 80s (I'm old) .... An honourable mention goes to my 'first' UNIX - 4.3BSD on a VAX/750 at the tender age of 16 smile

Bah!  That puts the upper limit off your age at 54.  Not that old; your beard is probably just turning grey wink
Several of us have you beat wink

Welcome to Arch.

Outstanding! I've always wanted to be part of a community where I wasn't the grumpiest old git sitting in the corner smile

And I make no comment on your uncannily accurate estimate smile

J

#6606 2019-07-11 18:59:05

archimboldo

50 year old lurker who finds Arch the easiest ... ( you name it ) wink

Respect to the staff and hello to everyone!

Rules for problems.
Everyone has problems. Animals have problems. And buildings. And cats, and trees.
Problems are your friends. Treat them well.

#6607 2019-07-12 05:48:24

Kazragone

Hello to all!!! I'm from Argentina, second installation with arch (first mont in linux), im now with cinnamon and i love it and love arch. Im a gamer (cs go, dota 2, and other singleplayer games like Witcher, BioShock), i think for gamers this is the best distro because we have the latest drivers for mesa, vulkan and also, latest kernel (best for amd gpus).
Sorry for my english!

#6608 2019-07-12 23:33:14

ezykiel

Hello all!

I've been using Linux since about 2008, starting on Ubuntu 8.10, used Ubuntu for a few years then switched to Mint and quickly to Crunchbang.

After that I went to the dark side and used macOS for a good couple of years. Saw the light a few years ago, been using Lubuntu since, before moving to Manjaro a few months ago.

I realised that an Arch-based system was exactly what I wanted, Pacman is a solid package manager (light years ahead of apt!) but Manjaro had some niggly things I didn't like, and came with a lot of preinstalled rubbish that I didn't use.

Tonight, after spending the last few weeks reading the install guide and making sure I understood every little thing I'd need to know about installing Arch, I've got a working install & am very happy with it.

Looking forward to getting used to Arch!

Michael

#6609 2019-07-13 11:29:37

lrwz

Hi

Have been using GNU/Linux on and off since 2011. Invariably I've used Arch, Debian, Gentoo or other distributions. Interested in getting back into Arch lately and seeing how it's changed over the years. This time however I would like to participate more in the community, hence creating this account.

#6610 2019-07-14 12:17:11

nicks

Hi Everyone

Moved from Ubuntu to Arch recently and so far love how easy it is to find things out compared to Ubuntu. Now fully running it on my laptop and desktop and not looking back.

#6611 2019-07-15 10:41:39

GoldenLion

Greetings fellows WM+kali is the holymolyglory...i use arch btw jaja

#6612 2019-07-16 00:16:09

CarlosIp

Hi from Argentina!, a week testing Arch and i love it.

#6613 2019-07-18 09:14:29

TR-909

Hello. Long time Arch user, first time poster. I like drum machines.

#6614 2019-07-20 08:18:11

Nunwan

Hello World !
I'm finally on this forum. I'm a French student and I used ArchLinux as my primary OS for years. After a long time without opening my PC, I reinstalled ArchLinux and decided to be more involved. So, I'm here !

#6615 2019-07-21 19:56:46

XxSingleOriginxX

Hello ~ just popping my cherry. Been using Linux for some time now. Good day!

#6616 2019-07-22 07:30:15

Awebb

XxSingleOriginxX wrote:

Your avatar is avatar Aang, so is it avatar² Aang or 2avatar Aang?

#6617 2019-07-22 09:34:09

spnzdg

Hello Arch World.

Debian, I got a new partner. AAARCH !!!

Kernel: 5.2.1-arch1-1-ARCH x86_64 bits: 64 Quad Core model: i5-2500 bits: 64 type: Cache: 6144 KiB :: 1600/3700 MHz Core speeds (MHz) :: Intel 2nd Gen Graphics driver: i915

#6618 2019-07-22 10:33:13

klapauzius

Hi there... I am new to this forum and have not seen a self-introduction forum section around here, so I just introduce myself to you in the off-topic section. I'm from switzerland and have migrated the entire family to linux distros, even grandpa uses Linux Mint now. My favourite ist Arch Linux and I'd like to thank all contributers and mantainers. This is great work.

#6619 2019-07-22 11:08:22

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Welcome to the Arch Linux forums, klapauzius.

Mod note: Merging with the hello topic.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6620 2019-07-23 17:13:05

XxSingleOriginxX

it is a 10 kilobytes of small jpeg Aang, edited in GIMP with a quality set to 35% lol. Actually, I am not an Avatar fan myself. I just like the color of the arrow on Aang's head. It suits Arch.

Awebb wrote:
XxSingleOriginxX wrote:

Your avatar is avatar Aang, so is it avatar² Aang or 2avatar Aang?

#6621 2019-07-24 09:21:24

Rollon23

Hello Everyone,
I'm from France, recently converted to Linux via Ubuntu.
I've  installed ARCH on a USB stick to give it a shot!

#6622 2019-07-27 17:25:50

Coffeetron

Hello everyone!

I used to run mostly Windows and some Debian, Mint, Ubuntu then Manjaro and now Arch. So I learned to love the Arch Wiki a long time ago. Swap from Manjaro to Arch for philosophical reasons and in order to learn more about the system.

Apart from Arch I am interested in OpenBSD which I don't find the time for and currently play around with Lineage OS.

Cheers,
M

#6623 2019-08-06 16:40:37

yoyou446

Hello everyone,
     I've been using Linux for a couple of years now and for a year and a half as a daily driver. I decided to install Arch a couple of days ago and learned more about Linux in those days than my last year of working with Linux. It forces exposure to parts of Linux that you usually don't have to worry about. I'm just a home user and was used to having everything done for me by the system. It's eye-opening and exciting to realise that there's more to the world of Linux and system administration then 'apt update' type of stuff.

The Arch wiki is a blessing. I'm a hyper organised individual, my bed is always made, my countertops always clean, and my professors get annoyed that they need to read through more comments than code in all of my assignments. I admit that the Arch wiki isn't quite yet to my standards but it's by far the best I've seen; especially concerning scope. It's easy to make documentation for a language like a python or go, but to see it done for operating systems and all of its constituent parts and third party addons and programs is breathtaking.

I have so many problems with my install! Isn't it wonderful! Problems are puzzles, I can work, work, and work some more until they're all ironed out, then make more for myself!

#6624 2019-08-06 17:01:29

ewaller
Administrator

yoyou446 wrote:

Hello everyone,
     I've been using Linux for a couple of years now and for a year and a half as a daily driver. I decided to install Arch a couple of days ago and learned more about Linux in those days than my last year of working with Linux. It forces exposure to parts of Linux that you usually don't have to worry about. I'm just a home user and was used to having everything done for me by the system. It's eye-opening and exciting to realise that there's more to the world of Linux and system administration then 'apt update' type of stuff.

Welcome.

I admit that the Arch wiki isn't quite yet to my standards but it's by far the best I've seen;

You can fix that wink

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6625 2019-08-06 20:26:18

10PinkPanther

yoyou446 wrote:

Hello everyone,

The Arch wiki is a blessing. I'm a hyper organised individual, my bed is always made, my countertops always clean, and my professors get annoyed that they need to read through more comments than code in all of my assignments. I admit that the Arch wiki isn't quite yet to my standards but it's by far the best I've seen; especially concerning scope. It's easy to make documentation for a language like a python or go, but to see it done for operating systems and all of its constituent parts and third party addons and programs is breathtaking.

I have so many problems with my install! Isn't it wonderful! Problems are puzzles, I can work, work, and work some more until they're all ironed out, then make more for myself!

i couldn't help myself but to ask:is arch wiki a blessing or not up to your standards?i'm dazed and confused.

Board footer