You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-12 06:52:09

dbacc

[Solved] Computer "almost" freezes at startup/ TTY not responsive

Hi,

after the latest updates (pacman.log below) my notebook is not usable anymore. (Updates Tuesday, first reboot Wednesday)
At first, sddm just crashed immediately and I was back at TTY login. I'm not "really" able to enter some login credentials there. It just doesn't update the entered information (so I don't really know when I can type in password and stuff). However, the system is still responsive, since one can see the entered information after switching back and forth between different TTYs.

What I did so far:
- Reverting some of the updates during that period (especially linux linux-lts linux-headers linux-firmware).

- Disabling sddm with not much success (just end up in the same situation as after the crash)

I'm currently running out of ideas, do you see anything in the logs?

recent journalctl: https://paste.ee/p/M2Flm

pacman log : https://paste.ee/p/hAbKm

Last edited by dbacc (2019-07-13 12:24:59)

#2 2019-07-12 07:07:46

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [Solved] Computer "almost" freezes at startup/ TTY not responsive

Remove SDDM from the equation and paste your xorg log from a failed session.

Also, this looks odd:

Jul 10 22:49:16 daniel-think login[1255]: pam_unix(login:auth): check pass; user unknown
Jul 10 22:49:16 daniel-think login[1255]: pam_unix(login:auth): authentication failure; logname=LOGIN uid=0 euid=0 tty=tty5 ruser= rhost=
Jul 10 22:49:16 daniel-think login[1255]: pam_tally(login:auth): pam_get_uid; no such user
Jul 10 22:49:19 daniel-think login[1255]: FAILED LOGIN 1 FROM tty5 FOR (unknown), User not known to the underlying authentication module

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2019-07-12 11:44:14

dbacc

I don't quite understand what xorg log will tell me. Shouldn't this whole issue be unrelated to sddm/xorg etc if it already appears in the console?

In any case, here is the last log from Jul 09. 22:22https://paste.ee/p/X7JDX

Just tried it again:

Without starting any kind of Xserver (no current Xorg logs) the screen gets stuck at the Terminal login. However, it responds to keyboard inputs. I can switch to another terminal and back to the original to get an update of the output. It seems like its still fully functional besides the update problem.

But how could that be caused if not by the kernel update I already reverted? I'm really stuck here.

Also at the boot prompt I can spot a "Failed to start Load Kernel Modules". Is that of significance for my problems?

Update: Adding nomodeset to the kernel boot command line solves the problem of stuck TTY output.
So this seems to be a problem related to graphics?
I just don't understand why the system still fails after downgrading the (in my view) relevant packages?

Last edited by dbacc (2019-07-12 15:51:59)

#4 2019-07-13 12:24:12

dbacc

Okay, I think I was able to fix it. At least I can boot into my system now without any problems, also graphical interface works.

I had "i915.enable_ps3=1" in my boot command-line. Removing that part resolved the issue.
I still don't get why this suddenly did not work anymore. The only update that was related to that issue has been removed just before...

Also, I'm not able to use sddm at the moment, I had to switch so lxdm because of
gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
errors, but I guess that belongs to another thread.

Board footer