You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-14 12:45:10

nicks

[SOLVED]SSD/new install refusing to work on laptop

Hi

I recently upgraded the PCI-E SSD drive in my MSI-GS40QE (Intel/Core I7). Installed a fresh copy of Arch on it no problems for around a couple of weeks.

Over the last couple of days something weird has happened arch seems to be running very jumpy and takes a while even to register typing on the keyboard. Because even the shell was doing this I bit the bullet and went with a fresh reinstall of arch again as it was near enough impossible to do anything.

When installing from the USB everything worked smoothly read/write times to the disk seemed quick enough. On first boot off the disk once I had the base, grub and intel-ucode installed the same problem happens again. Takes forever to register keystrokes and being jumpy even in the initial install with no DE, xorg etc.

Because of this I suspected the disk and swapped back to my old install on the old SSD (Hardly any space left so I could not even update anymore). This is working smoothly with no issues.

I then tried a fresh install on the new disk on my desktop(AMD Ryzen 7) to confirm there was something up and their was nothing wrong with it. New disk seems fine to me typing was perfectly smooth.

Because the old install on my old disk that is not fully up to date due to space issues works fine I'm wondering if any recent updates have caused issues with Intel laptops and M2 drives?

Other then that the only thing I have installed recently is boltctl etc for thunderbolt docks (Dell TB16's). Just mentioning this on the off chance that this has done something funny with the Intel hardware.

Has anyone had any similar issues?

edit -  After being misled by the USB boot for the arch image working fine and the new install on the SSD not working turns out my issue came from problems with 6th gen Intel Core I7 with integrated Intel Graphics in the latest Kernel. Unfortunately this isn't really solved for me because I am now stuck with just Intel graphics using the "i915.enable_psr=0" Kernel parameter or having to revert Kernel. Booting into NVIDIA mode gets as far as the lightdm log in screen and then starts freezing.

edit - Kernel update today (17th july) on removing the "i915.enable_prs=0" parameter from the Kernel I am happy to report I now have fully working NVIDIA and Intel graphics.

edit - I take that back only external monitor working properly while the internal is cloning it and freezing. It does not even show up in the mate displays menu. Still a waiting game for a Kernel patch.

Last edited by nicks (2019-07-17 11:05:50)

#2 2019-07-14 12:48:05

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: [SOLVED]SSD/new install refusing to work on laptop

M2 SSD is fine here.  Free up space.  Easy would be to delete pacman cache if you have a bunch of old packages (pacman -Sc).  Use a util like bleachbit to remove more (I recommend and use as root `bleachbit --clean system.cache system.localizations system.trash`)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2019-07-14 13:06:30

nicks

Thanks for the quick reply graysky.

Pacman -Sc got me 8GB of space (Didn't know that one/Useful). Now just got to wait for a Gig of updates.

Will let you know how it goes once that's done and if the same problem appears.

#4 2019-07-14 15:27:46

nicks

Well I have updated and rebooted.

Same problem again on the old disk/install so pretty much confirms that something else in the latest updates is affecting Intel laptops in some way or another. As I confirmed on the Desktop the SSD is fine. Problem is this means I can't even install a copy of arch on the laptop at the moment as it always comes in up to date.

Any ideas which update could have caused this? I know it's not intel-ucode as I tried a fresh install without this and still had the same results.

Version I have on my AMD desktop is running fine and is fully up to date.

Last edited by nicks (2019-07-14 18:09:10)

#5 2019-07-14 17:42:46

nicks

I found this thread where similar issues to mine were reported, however when looking in my boot command-line (presume this is what was meant/press e in the boot menu) I do not appear to have any similar lines. Only lines that seem to relate to video are "load_video" and set "gfxpayload=keep".

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=247687

So still as of yet stumped by this.

#6 2019-07-15 09:33:27

nicks

Right seem to be winning now. At least can log into the console.

It was that the nomodeset was missing from GRUB. I will get on with the install and if I get to a working GUI I will count this as solved.

#7 2019-07-15 14:16:22

nicks

OK so with "nomodeset" I can not launch lightdm. If I change this for the "modeset" lightdm starts but then the same problem occurs again where I can barely get a password typed in and the whole thing keeps freezing. Any ideas how to get round this?

#8 2019-07-15 19:23:00

nicks

It seems people with just Intel graphics are running into issues as well although with those it's just that they can not get the internal screen to work. It seems when you have an NVIDIA card as well this issue is causing that to perform badly.

I found a thread below that can at least get the Intel graphics going.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=247693

I can get running in the GUI with just the Intel Driver no problem at the moment using i915.enable_psr=0 however the Nvidia graphics are currently unusable.

Is there a similar line I could put in the Kernel boot parameters that will allow me to use the NVIDIA card?

If not I may revert to a previous kernel until this is fixed.

Board footer