You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-13 14:14:24

SaraGo

Install Arch Linux and deleting current distro

Hello everyone,
I am a Newbie to linux and have taken intrest in Arch Linux. I want to install Arch linux deleting the current distro I am using. Right now, I use Manjaro GNome as my OS right now. Please can someone give me methods to delete Manjaro and Install Arch.
Thanks...

#2 2019-07-13 14:20:55

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Install Arch Linux and deleting current distro

The canonical answer is to study and follow the installation guide. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide
If you do so, and have specific questions, we are happy to help.

Your question is far to general for right now.
Do you want to completely wipe your system and start over?
Do you need to dual boot with another OS (Windows, for example)
Do you have a separate HOME (or other data) partition you want to preserve and are investigating only changing the root partition?
Do you want to install a new boot loader, or use the one you have?  Is it MBR or uEFI?
Do you / do you want to use LUKS? Encryption?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2019-07-14 06:15:55

IrvineHimself

A useful tip for newbies is to note the sections on chroot and here. The significance of this is that when you make a mistake and can no longer boot into Arch, if you have installed the arch-install-scripts, then you can chroot into your system from another distro to fix it.

As a plus, you can virtually do the entire install from a chroot and thus have full access to all those pretty GUI's while doing the install.

I have only installed Arch twice, once when I first started, and more recently after I returned from a short stint with Fedora. On the last install, I was confident I knew what I was doing, completely wiped my hard disk and then, more or less, installed Arch from a small, live Xubuntu USB I keep as a rescue disk smile

Essentially, what I am saying is that, unless you are limited by disk space, you will probably be better off keeping the Manjaro around until you iron out the kinks. If, for example. at a later date, you decide to wipe your disk, you will have the expertise to do it while being able to painlessly re-install Arch to it's former state.

Irvine

Edit: you should read this as well

Last edited by IrvineHimself (2019-07-14 06:42:22)

Et voilà, elle arrive. La pièce, le sous, peut-être qu'il arrive avec vous!

#4 2019-07-16 20:58:27

fromagegb

You need to be happy with typed commands, fstab, and perhaps using gparted in gnome.

I went from manjaro to arch, and started by creating a new partition in manjaro.  Then followed the installation guide to install arch on the new partition, and had a dual boot.  This was just in case I had a severe problem : I didn't, haven't used manjaro since, but feel happier with a second method of using my same data.  No need to delete manjaro unless you need the space, but you probably don't.

If you have all your personal files in your /home/sara directory, it's a good idea to move them to a new partition first.  Create a new partition and mounted it as /sarastuff, and then just move files across in manjaro.  When you have arch running you can then copy across any configuration files(and directories) such as .googleearth and .thunderbird from manjaro/home/sara to arch/home/sara (with manjaro partition mounted in arch).

Board footer