You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-15 13:30:51

void

Excited New Arch Linux user

Greetings.  I have to say I am ecstatic about Arch Linux.  I just installed it last night on my laptop (Gateway 7508GX, AMD 64, ATI X600, 1.5Gb RAM) and it was amazing.   big_smile

I came from using Slackware, and this just blew Slack outta the water in my eyes.  It's the first time I have not had to tinker with all of my hardware configs right after install, and the performance increase is quite noticeable over Slack.  Pacman also seems pretty sweet, a lot easier than manually updating packages and deps.  Plus, you still have complete control over your machine

I have tried Gentoo and love the idea of optimization based on source compiling, but I didn't always have time to wait for it to do all its work.   roll

Anyways, I'm very excited...I just did a base install, updated pacman and all my base files.  When I get home tonight I can't wait to do a custom kernel install and get things installed.

I look forward to making lots of posts and help requests on this site, as I am by far no expert or even experienced.

--void

#2 2006-08-16 02:01:51

iKevin

Re: Excited New Arch Linux user

Welcome void.  Arch is an amazing thing.  Don't forget to check out AUR.  It pretty much has anything that you can't find in main repositories.

-Kev

#3 2006-08-16 06:15:53

mucknert

void wrote:

[...] When I get home tonight I can't wait to do a custom kernel install and get things installed.

I look forward to making lots of posts and help requests on this site, as I am by far no expert or even experienced.

Given that you state to be no expert or experienced at all I'd suggest you back off from the idea of installing a custom kernel. There is a lot of stuff you could do wrong big time. On the other hand: only that way you can learn. wink But after all I find the stock-kernel of Arch very good and don't see a reason to tinker with it. But that's just me speaking.

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#4 2006-08-16 07:14:41

Sigi

Welcome aboard, void!

I agree with mucknert regarding the custom kernel. If you are interested in switching your kernel I'd sugest to switch to the beyond kernel (ck and other patches). If you instead want to build your own kernel don't forget to read the wiki (Custom Kernel Compilation with ABS).

Have a lot of fun with Arch!

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#5 2006-08-16 17:45:41

void

Hoofa!!!  I read the custom kernel recommended by Sigi and all I can really say is....that's deep.  Definately something new to get accustomed to.

I am going to embark on this challenging journey with hopes of success.  And if I fail ....... Just as I did with Slack, start again.

Thanks for all the help, see ya on the forums

--void

#6 2006-08-16 18:03:05

cdhotfire

Building a custom kernel is not that hard. All you need is abs, and copy over a kernel PKGBUILD put in what ever patches you want, or use beyond PKGBUILD and put 'make gconfig' or what ever config you want.  Then you can configure it to your needs.

Good luck with Arch.

[img]http://www.barbarawood.com/guestbook/images/smilies/koolaid.gif[/img]
"Ooooh Yaaaa!"

Board footer