You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-01 13:05:16

felixdatboi

No wifi after fresh install

I made a fresh install today. And connected to wifi during the installation with wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd. This worked.

But after I rebooted and logged into root my connection is lost and I dont have wpa_supplicant available anymore (not installed?).

I also can not use wifi-menu since i did not install dialog. What are my options now? If i plug back my USB and boot into archiso again and connect to wifi. It will only be lost again, right?

Thanks!

#2 2018-11-01 13:12:42

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: No wifi after fresh install

Boot into the iso, get a network connection, mount your partitions, chroot, then use pacman to install whatever networking tools you will need.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-11-01 13:26:28

felixdatboi

Alright! Why do I need to remount my partitions? Thanks!!

#4 2018-11-01 13:28:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

If you don't mount your partitions, you can't install anything to them.

Strictly speaking, chrooting is optional as you could use pacman from the iso with the -r flag to install to your actual system, but just going through the same steps as you did in the orginal installation should be simpler and less error prone: mount all of your partitions just as you did during the original installation, then use arch-chroot just as you did in the original installation, the use pacman as you should have done in the original installation to add any networking tools you need to your new system (e.g., dialog and wpa_supplicant).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2018-11-01 13:45:48

felixdatboi

Ok! Didnt know you hade to install those packages into /mnt. But now it makes perfect sense!

It worked perfectly. Thanks!

#6 2019-07-23 14:09:11

huzo11

Trilby wrote:

Boot into the iso, get a network connection, mount your partitions, chroot, then use pacman to install whatever networking tools you will need.

Would you mind if I ask how I can "boot into the iso" and follow the other steps? Because even with usb plugged, the system boots to grub and that takes to the login screen. 
Thnks!

Be nice and live for others.
https://prismatically.blog

#7 2019-07-23 14:18:29

ewaller
Administrator

You may have to use the pre-boot menu environment of your uEFI (or BIOS) to control the boot order.

Alternately, you can use a wired interface to install wpa_supplicant.  Note, this also means you can USB tether a phone -- doing so causes that tether to appear as a wired interface; just run dhccpd  (or dhclient) as root, and you will have a 'wired' network that uses your phone's internet connection.  Be aware that unless the phone is on a WiFi connection, you will be using your cellular data..  In any event, install what you need for WiFi, then you can un-tether.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2019-07-23 14:37:55

huzo11

ewaller wrote:

You may have to use the pre-boot menu environment of your uEFI (or BIOS) to control the boot order.

Alternately, you can use a wired interface to install wpa_supplicant.  Note, this also means you can USB tether a phone -- doing so causes that tether to appear as a wired interface; just run dhccpd  (or dhclient) as root, and you will have a 'wired' network that uses your phone's internet connection.  Be aware that unless the phone is on a WiFi connection, you will be using your cellular data..  In any event, install what you need for WiFi, then you can un-tether.

I managed to load into the iso, but I am not sure how I should execute the other steps hmm

Be nice and live for others.
https://prismatically.blog

#9 2019-07-23 15:37:46

seth

Board footer