You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-26 15:08:35

CorruptComputer
Website

[SOLVED] Worms W.M.D does not launch on Steam

Hello fellow Arch users,

I have been trying to get Worms W.M.D to launch on Steam, trying both the native and Proton versions of it. However it will not open, Steam says it is launching the game and then nothing opens.

Console output: https://gist.github.com/CorruptComputer … a6c3b93546
Hardinfo report (recommended by the game dev): https://gist.github.com/CorruptComputer … 37457e164a
Steam System Info: https://gist.github.com/CorruptComputer … ee8810efd5

The console has this error in it:

This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb"
in "".

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, xcb.

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I tried to install fcitx5, as pkgfile says it is the package that gives xcb.so, however with no luck. I also already have libxcb installed. Any suggestions?

Last edited by CorruptComputer (2019-07-30 00:57:35)

#2 2019-07-27 20:08:00

Stewart Little

Re: [SOLVED] Worms W.M.D does not launch on Steam

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St … orms_W.M.D if you hadn't done so already.

“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
“It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” -J. K Rowling
-----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2019-07-27 21:32:43

CorruptComputer
Website

Following the instructions there it seems that the game at least launches for a second now. But it core dumps still:

ngupton  andromeda  ../common/WormsWMD  ./Worms\ W.M.Dx64 
./Worms W.M.Dx64: /usr/lib/libcurl-gnutls.so.4: no version information available (required by ./Worms W.M.Dx64)
./Worms W.M.Dx64: /mnt/games2/Steam/steamapps/common/WormsWMD/lib/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libpulse.so.0)
./Worms W.M.Dx64: /mnt/games2/Steam/steamapps/common/WormsWMD/lib/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/pulseaudio/libpulsecommon-12.2.so)
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open radeonsi (search paths /usr/lib/dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast (search paths /usr/lib/dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
GetCurrentDirectoryA
buffer /mnt/games2/Steam/steamapps/common/WormsWMD
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

#4 2019-07-27 21:37:49

Stewart Little

CorruptComputer wrote:

Following the instructions there it seems that the game at least launches for a second now. But it core dumps still:

./Worms W.M.Dx64: /usr/lib/libcurl-gnutls.so.4: no version information available (required by ./Worms W.M.Dx64)
./Worms W.M.Dx64: /mnt/games2/Steam/steamapps/common/WormsWMD/lib/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libpulse.so.0)
./Worms W.M.Dx64: /mnt/games2/Steam/steamapps/common/WormsWMD/lib/libdbus-1.so.3: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/pulseaudio/libpulsecommon-12.2.so)
GetCurrentDirectoryA

OK! looking at the log points to me that you are missing some mesa library, do you have opencl-mesa installed? And the Vulkan-radeon libraries? The vanilla mesa from the repository should provide the mesa-libgl straight away since it stated its included in the package. Could you try vulkan-radeon and opencl-mesa please if not installed already?

Edit: Doing some searches leads me to this fix: https://steamcommunity.com/app/327030/d … 065155871/  Could you try this guide for Arch Linux if doable?

Last edited by Stewart Little (2019-07-27 21:39:38)

“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
“It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” -J. K Rowling
-----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2019-07-27 23:18:35

CorruptComputer
Website

Stewart Little wrote:
CorruptComputer wrote:

GetCurrentDirectoryA

OK! looking at the log points to me that you are missing some mesa library, do you have opencl-mesa installed? And the Vulkan-radeon libraries? The vanilla mesa from the repository should provide the mesa-libgl straight away since it stated its included in the package. Could you try vulkan-radeon and opencl-mesa please if not installed already?

Edit: Doing some searches leads me to this fix: https://steamcommunity.com/app/327030/d … 065155871/  Could you try this guide for Arch Linux if doable?

Those packages were already installed for me, the changed run.sh suggested in the Steam Community link seemed to fix it! Just in case that post ever gets removed, I'll paste it here as well:

INP | Xandaros wrote:

Introduction
I was having a lot of issues trying to get it to run on Arch Linux, but it finally runs!
So, for anyone else having problems, I'm going to post what worked for me.
It might be different for you, depending on how your system is already setup, but it's a place to start.

Summary
I had to install libcurl-gnutls and modify the Run.sh as posted below.

The journey
Initially, the game didn't start at all, but starting the game from console revealed that I was missing libcurl-gnutls.so.4.
So I installed the package, but that didn't quite do the trick. I eventually built it myself and it worked. However, I believe this to be unnecessary. I have since reinstalled the package and it still works fine.

After that, I was able to start the game from console, but it still crashed when I tried to open it from steam. I didn't really care, though, since it seemed to work from console.
Alas, I got to hear some music and soon after it froze and eventually crashed. On some attempts I even got to see the main menu before it eventually died.

The console output seemed to reveal that it is a problem with dbus, but what exactly was going on, I had no idea.

Lots of googleing later, I finally figured out that it seems to be an issue with Arch's libdbus being too new. The solution to this problem is to preload the dbus libraries steam ships with, which is explained here.

The script you see there probably works, but I dislike how it puts everything on one line. All you really need to do is add this line to after the two export statements:

export LD_PRELOAD="$(
	printf "%s " ~/.steam/SteamApps/common/WormsWMD/lib/libQt5*.so* \
		~/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdbus-1.so.3 \
		~/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdbus-1.so.3.5.8
)"

Depending on how old or new your installation is, you might have to lowercase "SteamApps". Your game might also be installed in a different location.

The final Run.sh then looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

export LC_ALL=C
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib"
export LD_PRELOAD="$(
	printf "%s " ~/.steam/SteamApps/common/WormsWMD/lib/libQt5*.so* \
		~/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdbus-1.so.3 \
		~/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdbus-1.so.3.5.8
)"

chmod a+x ./Worms\ W.M.Dx64
./Worms\ W.M.Dx64

With this, the game should work and it even works when running through steam! \o/

If you were having trouble running the game on Arch, give this a try and maybe that works already for you. If it doesn't and you figure out the issue, please post here so we can help more people get the game running.

Thanks for your help!

#6 2019-07-28 10:51:36

Rasi
Website

Don't forget to change the title of your original post to include [SOLVED], so others with the same issue know they might find help here.

Last edited by Rasi (2019-07-28 10:51:51)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#7 2020-10-08 19:42:03

sxiii

Greetings. On the recent versions of ArchLinux (actually Manjaro 20.1.1 but anyways) this does not work because folder name is lowercase. So this is the correct "Run.sh" file that works for me:

#!/bin/bash

export LC_ALL=C
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib"
export LD_PRELOAD="$(
	printf "%s " ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/WormsWMD/lib/libQt5*.so* \
)"

chmod a+x ./Worms\ W.M.Dx64
./Worms\ W.M.Dx64

I also had to install the following packages as well: `libcurl-gnutls libidn11 qt5-base qt5-xcb-private-headers` (unsure if last two are needed)

Here's the full fix help:
https://gist.github.com/sxiii/9d9b8435f … 8cbe86a69e

Last edited by sxiii (2020-10-08 19:43:46)

#8 2020-10-08 19:48:27

V1del
Forum Moderator

Thanks for sharing a potential solution, however this is over a year old and one should not expect to take these at face value with a year in between.

Closing this old thread.

Board footer