You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-27 18:45:32

Hacksign

Seagate USB disk can not be recognised

Hi there.

I have a Seagate USB disk, it is printed as model SRD00F1 at the back of this disk.

There is a strange behaviour:
    If I pluged it in when my laptop is poweroff, then boot the system, I can see the disk (as well as logs in dmesg command).
    Then, I unmounted this disk, and plug off it.
    Then, plug in it again, I can not see any dmesg output about any new usb device.
    Also, if I boot up system first, then plug this disk in, there is no any log in dmesg output.
    This disk works well on another computer with Windows 10 installed.
(Same laptop, Same ueb port, the different is whether this disk is connected when booting up the system).

Because there is no any log output in 'dmesg -w' and 'journalctl -f' command, I can not give you any log, anyone knows how to solve this problem ?

#2 2019-07-28 00:03:39

teckk

Re: Seagate USB disk can not be recognised

My 2 cents.

Sometimes usb ports get a little sloppy from use. I have a machine, and an external usb HD, If I plug it in too hard it wont show up in dmesg -w. I have make sure and plug it in lightly, or the usb plug contacts wont touch each other right.

dmesg -w then move the plug around slightly and see if there is a change.

That will cause you problems with a ntfs drive too. If contact quits without being unmounted correctly, you'll have a corrupt ntfs volume. Then you'll have to hunt down a windows machine to stick it in to fix it.

#3 2019-07-28 04:46:26

Hacksign

Re: Seagate USB disk can not be recognised

well, as you said, plug in this disk lightly, dmesg -w showed me kernel recognised this device .

o.0 the most strange "BUG" I've every seen .....

teckk wrote:

My 2 cents.

Sometimes usb ports get a little sloppy from use. I have a machine, and an external usb HD, If I plug it in too hard it wont show up in dmesg -w. I have make sure and plug it in lightly, or the usb plug contacts wont touch each other right.

dmesg -w then move the plug around slightly and see if there is a change.

That will cause you problems with a ntfs drive too. If contact quits without being unmounted correctly, you'll have a corrupt ntfs volume. Then you'll have to hunt down a windows machine to stick it in to fix it.

Board footer