You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-13 23:17:32

whol

VMWare 4 please!

I'm a newby, and I can't get it installed by doing it manually.  I've been trying for 3 days so far. :-(

It would be really nice if I could just do "pacman -S vmware4"

thx!

#2 2004-03-15 05:05:25

sud_crow
Website

Re: VMWare 4 please!

Well, this is propietary software, and as such, you have to pay to aquire it.

The available version is a demo, which lasts 30 days. And its a binary.

There is no use in pacman supporting such thing. I think.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#3 2004-03-15 05:19:59

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

I agree with sud_crow. Its the same issue with win4lin. Made from binaries by someone who knows the apps, and notifying the owner. Read topic:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=1177

Markku

#4 2004-03-15 05:51:01

dp
Website

if Arch Linux is big enough to be seen by such companies, then maybe they can make a repository for such pkgs ... and you can add a password-protected repository-system for pacman to have to type a password (witch you buy form the company) to simply run pacman -S yourSoftwareYouBuyed :-)

but in the near future, you have to learn howto and ask people who did it

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#5 2004-03-15 15:53:40

whol

dp wrote:

if Arch Linux is big enough to be seen by such companies, then maybe they can make a repository for such pkgs ... and you can add a password-protected repository-system for pacman to have to type a password (witch you buy form the company) to simply run pacman -S yourSoftwareYouBuyed :-)

but in the near future, you have to learn howto and ask people who did it

I've been going through the How To's, but have not been able to reproduce the results.  I've been trying to get VMWare4 to install for about a week.  The How To's are both incomplete and outdated.  I would create an up-to-date one, and maintain it, if I could get it to work.  I'm new to linux, so my skills are currently limited.  I usually can't even connect to the patch site, I got through once so far (that ftp.cvut.cz site).

On Gentoo, all I had to do was "emerge vmware-workstation", I'm hoping it will eventually be that easy on Arch.  If it goes against the Arch philosophy, then I will write some fool-proof documentation once I get it figured out. 

Santos was helping me, but I havent heard from him since Thursday.  He is the only one I've heard from that actually has it working, though I've read posts by others who also have it working.

#6 2004-03-16 11:14:25

andy

whol wrote:

On Gentoo, all I had to do was "emerge vmware-workstation", I'm hoping it will eventually be that easy on Arch.  If it goes against the Arch philosophy, then I will write some fool-proof documentation once I get it figured out.

Actually, you could do something similar. I'm doing something like that for the Intel compilers. Somebody (you ? ;-) ) that figured out how to install it, can make a PKGBUILD etc, so that all you need to do is :

makepkg -i -c

provided that you have the purchased product somewhere (and the PKGBUILD was set up to get it).

That reminds me to update the Intel compiler scripts ... ;-)

#7 2004-03-16 20:54:02

No VMware nor Win4Lin please!
use plex86!
who needs VMware should be able to install it as well!
ArchLinux (and Linux in general) is free software!

#8 2004-03-16 21:07:59

whol

Guest,

"Rather than implement a full and heavyweight VM which can run all guest Operating Systems (OSes), the new approach is designed to run only Linux VMs, making the new plex86 architecture on the order of 10x or 100x more simplistic"

So plex86 cannot run Win2000 Pro, which is what I need to be able to do.

You view that whomever needs vmware should be able to install it is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.

thx

#9 2004-03-16 21:09:55

whol

Andy,

I'll be glad to do whatever will make it easier for other newbies to install VMWare4 on Arch.  I still have to complete the first step, which is to get it installed properly myself.

thx

andy wrote:
whol wrote:

Actually, you could do something similar. I'm doing something like that for the Intel compilers. Somebody (you ? ;-) ) that figured out how to install it, can make a PKGBUILD etc, so that all you need to do is :

makepkg -i -c

provided that you have the purchased product somewhere (and the PKGBUILD was set up to get it).

That reminds me to update the Intel compiler scripts ... ;-)

#10 2004-03-17 03:45:12

sud_crow
Website

Well, i have it running, but i made it like 4 o 6 months ago, so i dont recall exactly what i did...
Whats the problem you are having? i might have a look at what i did and give you a hand if can help with the issue.

Regards.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

Board footer