You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-06 09:05:31

Hi-Angel

How to downgrade KDE?

After yesterday update I stumbled upon this Konsole issue, which I tried to workaround for now by downgrading Qt/KDE. But as you can guess, there're hundreds of Qt5 and KDE packages, all linked with each another in odd ways. And even though I managed somehow to make Konsole work after downgrades, another workaround I've been using stopped working, probably because I didn't downgrade some package.

So, is there a way to get a list of all Qt5 and KDE packages, so I could downgrade and make it work?

#2 2019-08-06 09:18:08

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: How to downgrade KDE?

If I'm reading your bug report right this is a lot of work just to fix an incredibly minor inconvenience, you will be much better off just living with the inconvenience (or rather invest the time you would invest into downgrading into investigating and fixing/making a proper and detailed bug report to the correct location)

If you really think this is that impactful on your workflow, you will have to take the qt5 kf5 plasma and potentially kde-applications packages downgrade them, and take care of any rebuilds you might have to do due to ABI breaks using the ABS AND keep on top of the rest of the rolling release.

Edit: WorMzy's option is likely another easy solution, given you don't rely on something else actually having updated in that timeframe.

Last edited by V1del (2019-08-06 09:25:26)

#3 2019-08-06 09:22:22

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

The simplest (and most supported) way of downgrading a set of packages is to downgrade your entire system to the date before the update went live in the repos.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … cific_date

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2019-08-06 10:07:40

Hi-Angel

V1del wrote:

If I'm reading your bug report right this is a lot of work just to fix an incredibly minor inconvenience, you will be much better off just living with the inconvenience (or rather invest the time you would invest into downgrading into investigating and fixing/making a proper and detailed bug report to the correct location)

Unfortunately this is not a "minor inconvenience", this is actual show stopper. I
work with code, and when I get a bunch of errors, I need to see the error and the
text editor in different windows. And right now this is impossible.

V1del wrote:

If you really think this is that impactful on your workflow, you will
have to take the qt5 kf5 plasma and potentially kde-applications packages downgrade
them, and take care of any rebuilds you might have to do due to ABI breaks using the
ABS AND keep on top
of the rest of the rolling release.

I think, I reinstalled all packages that
matched qt-5* glob. I might try *plasma* and *kf5*; however I'm concerned that
there're packages that don't have any of that in the name, like Qutebrowser for
example.

V1del wrote:

Edit: WorMzy's option is likely another easy solution, given you don't
rely on something else actually having updated in that timeframe.

Unfortunately I can't downgrade whole system back either, because I need gcc-9, which
was the whole reason I upgraded in the first place.

#5 2019-08-06 10:20:33

Xabre

Why not ssimply use a different terminal emulator for the time being, if it's only about one bug in Konsole?
Seems to me like downgrading everything simply because of just one program is like using a sledgehammer to kill a fly.

#6 2019-08-06 10:23:58

Hi-Angel

Xabre wrote:

Why not ssimply use a different terminal emulator for the time being, if it's only about one bug in Konsole?
Seems to me like downgrading everything simply because of just one program is like using a sledgehammer to kill a fly.

Do you have any in mind? I tried gnome-terminal, but it doesn't have search highlight, which is pretty bad too (I usually have tons of c++ non-human-readable errors, and without search-highlighting the output it would be hard to work as well)

Last edited by Hi-Angel (2019-08-06 10:24:53)

#7 2019-08-06 10:27:06

V1del
Forum Moderator

pactree -r qt5-base #Needs pacman-contrib

But still, you will almost guaranteed run into other issues with that approach, as mentioned, other terminal emulator or workflow adjustments will be much more fruitful

I'm also using Konsole but i use alt+tab for window switching so I'm apparently not affected, so I don't have much experience with other emulators but: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … _emulators there's quite a list

Last edited by V1del (2019-08-06 10:29:22)

#8 2019-08-06 10:30:22

Xabre

Well,if there's anything that Linux has, it's a shitton of terminal emulators and text editors.
Perssonally, I'd try Qterminal first, cause of dependancies

#9 2019-08-06 10:45:23

Hi-Angel

V1del wrote:
pactree -r qt5-base #Needs pacman-contrib

But still, you will almost guaranteed run into other issues with that approach, as mentioned, other terminal emulator or workflow adjustments will be much more fruitful

I'm also using Konsole but i use alt+tab for window switching so I'm apparently not affected, so I don't have much experience with other emulators but: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … _emulators there's quite a list

Xabre wrote:

Well,if there's anything that Linux has, it's a shitton of terminal emulators and text editors.
Perssonally, I'd try Qterminal first, cause of dependancies

Thanks! So, I tried various terminals:

* qterminal   — pressing Alt+f/Alt+b etc results in focusing menu.
* terminology — doesn't have search highlight.
* alacritty   — no tabs, search, nothing at all.
* kitty       — no search
* urxvt       — no tabs, search, nothing at all.
* yakuake     — not really a terminal, a drop-down thingy like `rofi`
* xterm       — no tabs, search, nothing at all.

Okay, so at this point I think I better off try to do something with what I have now.

#10 2019-08-06 10:58:09

Hi-Angel

So, I tried reinstalling Konsole dependencies that pactree shows, and also reinstalled everything from cache that matched *5.59* glob (given what I have now matches *5.60* glob). So far to no avail.

Okay, so, I spent lots of time already, so maybe I'll try working for now with the Alt press-release glitch for today. And then later this evening will take a look at fixing it in Konsole code, this sounds trivial. Thanks everyone.

#11 2019-08-06 14:44:07

qinohe

There's also a simple program suited for this task: tabbed[Community]
tabbed -c xterm -into &
Ctrl+Shift+Enter = open new tab
Ctrl+q = close tab
(see) man tabbed

edit: just an example;)

Last edited by qinohe (2019-08-06 14:46:30)

#12 2019-08-07 00:05:55

Hi-Angel

Okay, FTR, at least the glitch with Alt keys I fixed https://phabricator.kde.org/D22980

Board footer