You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-26 09:32:09

kenneth_h93

ZFS not loading after server swap

Hi
I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I am having some issues with booting my ZFS-based Arch installation.
Recentlty my old Dell R710 died for some unknown reason, and I have now replaced it with an R720xd. It had some issues that needed to resolved and as part of this I need to have my boot partition on a USB-drive.
If I connect my current boot SSD to the system and try to boot from it, I get the systemd boot menu and I can start booting. However it tells me that I cannot find the ZFS module and that I have to run /sbin/modprobe zfs to try and resolve the issue.
This is however not possible since my root system is running on ZFS.

I have tried to boot a archiso, with ZFS support, and recompiled the initramfs inside an arch-chroot and also replaced the spl.spl_hostid parameter in the kernel parameters.

I did also try to connect the boot SSD to the internal backplane and then copied the UEFI boot partition to a USB-drive. But still the same result.

How can I fix this issue, as the same drive booted fine on my old R710?

#2 2019-07-29 03:28:42

alaskanarcher

Re: ZFS not loading after server swap

When mkinitcpio was run, did your /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file include the proper hooks as specified here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … Arch_Linux

#3 2019-07-29 07:24:19

kenneth_h93

alaskanarcher wrote:

When mkinitcpio was run, did your /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file include the proper hooks as specified here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … Arch_Linux

I have just checked and the zfs hook is present as listed in the link

#4 2019-08-07 16:28:57

kenneth_h93

Bump smile

Still nothing new. As mentioned the zfs hook was located as specified in the link from #2 and still the system is not booting.
Is the only way really to create a fresh Arch installation and reconfigure everything again?

Board footer