You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-10 02:48:07

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

What to do with apr

There exists an out of date package in extra called apr.  It was originally there because we were using the old version of apache (1.3) but now apache 2.0 includes apr.

I understand that development continues on apr seperate from apache and that they probably make more releases than apache does, but, apart from that, are there any compelling reasons to continue with apr?

I have some reasons to get rid of it:
1) having apr and apache (with apr included) means that depends are more difficult (especially if the apr version in apache is different than the apr package's version)
2) keeping apr probably means that it will be stripped from the apache package and any apr updates will have to be tested with the current version of apache

I'm not looking for what-ifs, I'm looking for concrete examples, most importantly, "package x won't build with apache's apr version because it's too old."

Those of you who have built packages that need apr had better speak up.  I'll leave 5 days for discussion and if there are no good reasons, it's out.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#2 2004-03-10 04:53:49

sarah31
Website

Re: What to do with apr

well as i mentioned before subeversion without an apache depend could/may/would be an assest to some i am sure. the same discussion recently took place on crux and the decision was to use the independent version of apr for subversion.

that is just an example i don't use either nor really care but since you asked i volunteered.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-03-14 21:55:45

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Sarah was the only one that commented about what other people do.

At this time, I don't see a reason to keep it in, so I will remove it once I get a chance.

Say bye bye to apr.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2004-03-14 23:54:41

dp
Website

Xentac wrote:

Sarah was the only one that commented about what other people do.

At this time, I don't see a reason to keep it in, so I will remove it once I get a chance.

Say bye bye to apr.

"bye bye apr"

cu in apache :-)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#5 2004-03-15 07:02:22

sarah31
Website

jerk apr is beautiful and you killed it .... yeah whatever ... like i care. tongue tongue

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer