You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-09 02:33:26

Fifteen

Suggestion: Bundle Nvidia's power management scripts in the driver pkg

Nvidia's proprietary drivers have long had issues with recovering from suspend, which tends to cause graphics to turn out corrupted. In order to fix that, Nvidia recently introduced a userspace power management interface in the form of /proc/driver/nvidia/suspend, which allows the system to notify the driver when it's about to suspend or hibernate and when it restores from that state.

The documentation highlights that this is still considered an experimental feature, but the binary package now includes sample systemd services (at /usr/share/doc/nvidia/samples/ judging by the manual) that are meant to write to that interface at the appropriate time, and those don't seem to be included in the nvidia package or (perhaps more appropriately) in the nvidia-utils package yet.

There are some caveats to this solution, considering a dump file needs to be created (possibly in the /tmp ramdisk) with a size equivalent to the amount of onboard VRAM for all GPUs the driver is attached to, in which case a wiki article to provide instructions could be preferable to simply tossing a few sample scripts in the package with the rest.

Would those scripts be considered a good addition to make to the package considering they could potentially fix what has been an annoying driver issue for a fairly long time now?

#2 2019-08-09 15:55:28

loqs

Re: Suggestion: Bundle Nvidia's power management scripts in the driver pkg

Welcome to the arch linux forums Fifteen.  You could suggest this as a feature request on the bug tracker.
Package maintainers may not read the arch linux forums.  I would suggest you test the feature first including preferably testing with Optimus and Bumblebee as well as discrete only testing.
Edit:
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/pack … 1a90fafb69

Last edited by loqs (2019-08-09 16:40:44)

#3 2019-08-10 18:44:50

Fifteen

Re: Suggestion: Bundle Nvidia's power management scripts in the driver pkg

Woah, that didn't take long. I don't have the sort of hardware that would let me test this with bumblebee and such, and I imagine this sort of setup is one of the reasons why that feature is still marked as experimental. The systemd services are probably not meant to be enabled by default either, at least not without reading about them in the documentation, but given how those sample scripts are already packaged with the installer from Nvidia, how the feature is opt-in and how it just makes use of a driver hook that's already available, I would assume that those are at least safe to package with nvidia-utils.

Last edited by Fifteen (2019-08-10 18:46:05)

Board footer