You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-10 09:30:35

sadboi389

What's up with nautilus updates?

I'm using nautilus as a file manager but update by update I get disappointed and I'm tired of changing the source and compiling it myself.

First it was the "starred" tab that wouldn't go away even if you don't need it, only way to remove it was to change the source.

Then it was the hideous new background/design of the top navigation bar that appears when the window is above a guessed 1000 pixels in width.

And now I'm wondering who thought it's a good idea to now add a dash ("-") to line breaks? It apprently breaks item's paddings too. This is how that looks:

Screenshot-from-2019-08-10-10-50-14.png

Notice the immense extra space around the video. Is that a bug or is that intended? If so, why? It's really frustrating how with arch you should always stay updated but updates constantly ruin the great user experience I have with arch + gnome. This is especially the case with nautilus.

My question: Is there any way to combat this other than going through the source code hoping to find the lines you need to tweak in order to get the old look back without having to ignore updates for a package in the pacman config? I've had things break many times before because of only partially updating so that really isn't the best idea.

As a temporary solution about the nautilus thing:

Open dconf-editor, navigate to /org/gnome/nautilus/icon-view/text-ellipsis-limit and change the value to ['2']. I'm very sure that this isn't even intended to fix this issue, but at least for me it does. As a side effect, there's now a lot of vertical scrolling space at the bottom of each folder even when there aren't anymore items.

Alternatively one can get the older version from https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/n/nautilus/ but I'd usually advise against partial upgrades because it could raise issues with non-compatible library/dependency versions.

I hope that helps someone having the same issues. I really love arch and gnome and I highly appreciate all the great people working on it and making it available for free and open source so we have the freedom to tweak things to our liking, but I really don't understand why there are constant updates to the core design/usability of apps (especially nautilus). Why not just keep it the way it was? Never change a running system, right? This is first world problems, I know, but my OCD is hurting.

Last edited by sadboi389 (2019-08-10 10:19:01)

#2 2019-08-10 10:13:22

seth

Re: What's up with nautilus updates?

I really don't understand why there are constant updates to the core design/usability of apps

You're using the wrong desktop system (and KDE/plasma meanwhile increasingly does the same) - I had an answer to the "why" but it would violate the forum rules (as btw. does the oversized image, please edit your post and replace it w/ a link/thumbnail)

#3 2019-08-10 10:27:07

sadboi389

seth wrote:

I really don't understand why there are constant updates to the core design/usability of apps

You're using the wrong desktop system (and KDE/plasma meanwhile increasingly does the same) - I had an answer to the "why" but it would violate the forum rules (as btw. does the oversized image, please edit your post and replace it w/ a link/thumbnail)

Did the edit part.

I'm using XFCE4 on my laptop (running debian though) and never have any of these issues there, but I know, arch is a rolling release system and so on. Maybe it is time to switch on my PC aswell, but for the most part I really like the dark gnome theme and I love the gnome extensions.

Like I said, this is a bit of a "first world problems" thread, I was just thinking that maybe someone feels the same and came up with an actual solution to stick with older versions of the design/layout aspect without having to ignore updates. In many of these cases the AUR helps me out because some awesome guy maintains an older version with newer security patches or similar things, but all I found for nautilus was a version that maintains the "typeahead" find feature (not quite sure what that is though).

#4 2019-08-10 11:53:26

Lone_Wolf

seth wrote:

Would "ask gnome developers" be a non-violating summary of that answer ?

sadboi389, you may want to look at caja from the MATE Desktop environment
It seems to be  a fork based on the gnome2 version of nautilus.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2019-08-10 12:22:08

seth

It would lack all the texture and flavor that really brings to live and explains why these things happen with some projects and not with others… ;-)
Also I'm not sure whether igniting bikeshedding elsewhere is in accordance w/ the forum rules :-p

#6 2019-08-10 12:34:52

sadboi389

Lone_Wolf wrote:
seth wrote:

Would "ask gnome developers" be a non-violating summary of that answer ?

sadboi389, you may want to look at caja from the MATE Desktop environment
It seems to be  a fork based on the gnome2 version of nautilus.

Caja has a lot more preferences which I think is really nice, but it seems a bit more cluttered and I don't really like the padding thing, it seems to suffer from the same issue as nautilus.

Also I take back that the dconf thing fixes the issue for me:

Screenshot-from-2019-08-10-14-29-13.png

Linux GUI applications isn't my main field of programming, but how this can even happen is still beyond me. (Just to clarify: This is nautilus, not caja)

Last edited by sadboi389 (2019-08-10 12:35:28)

Board footer