You are not logged in.
Hello,
since upgrading from 5.1.15.arch1-1 to either 5.2.5.arch1-1 or 5.2.8-arch1-1 I get the boot stuck on a black screen for about 45 secondes before getting xfce loging screen, also getting complete system freeze from time to time.
Reverting back to kernel 5.1.15.arch1-1 fixes the problem directly, but not sure why.
System is updated at least weekly, and has been done before posting.
I'm not sure what is needed for the troubleshooting, so please fire away your questions.
neofetch info :
OS: Arch Linux x86_64
Host: PS63 Modern 8RC REV:1.0
Kernel: 5.2.8-arch1-1-ARCH
Uptime: 2 hours, 19 mins
Packages: 1279 (pacman)
Shell: zsh 5.7.1
Resolution: 1920x1080
DE: Xfce
WM: Xfwm4
WM Theme: Arc-Dark
Theme: Adwaita-dark [GTK2], Adwaita [GTK3]
Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
Terminal: terminator
CPU: Intel i7-8565U (8) @ 4.600GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 620
Memory: 4249MiB / 15875MiB
Last edited by jdenoy (2020-01-23 16:10:41)
Offline
Read your journal for a slow login.
Moving to NC...
Offline
The boot issue might happen due to lack of entropy, if lscpu | grep rdrand gives you output add
random.trust_cpu=onto your kernel params. Otherwise install and enable haveged.
The system freeze "could" be due to some issues in the i915 kernel module, though as far as I know the issue I'm thinking of should be fixed by 5.2.8.
In any case, post a
sudo journalctl -bduring a faulty boot
Offline
The boot issue might happen due to lack of entropy, if lscpu | grep rdrand gives you output add
random.trust_cpu=onto your kernel params. Otherwise install and enable haveged.
does not solve the problem, got at least twice the regular wait...
jdenoy@johand ~ cat /proc/cmdline ✔ 100% - 0.50 L - 192.168.0.2 IP - 12.08.19 - 10:31:51
BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/mapper/vg0-root rw cryptdevice=/dev/nvme0n1p3:lvmpool root=/dev/mapper/vg0-root quiet random.trust_cpu=on
The system freeze "could" be due to some issues in the i915 kernel module, though as far as I know the issue I'm thinking of should be fixed by 5.2.8.
In any case, post a
sudo journalctl -bduring a faulty boot
logs after long boot (will post after the next freeze) : https://pastebin.com/g9rpGMKE
Thanks
Last edited by jdenoy (2019-08-12 08:51:21)
Offline
There's like a gazillion nouveau timeouts.
a) How did you configure the optimus system (if the answer is "huh, what?", read up https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus )
b) try the nvidia blob
Offline
There's like a gazillion nouveau timeouts.
a) How did you configure the optimus system (if the answer is "huh, what?", read up https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus )
b) try the nvidia blob
shouldn't the optimus system be used when you actually use the official nvidia drivers?
I've been using the nvidia-nouveau since the beginning without any problems up to theses kernel upgrades. as for the nvidia blob, what's that?
BTW here's my graphics card hw info :
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 (Whiskey Lake)
DeviceName: Onboard - Video
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] UHD Graphics 620 (Whiskey Lake)
--
02:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile]
Kernel driver in use: nouveauOffline
I had a similar issue with gdm and gnome. For me, the solution was to install and enable haveged.
pacman -Sy haveged
systemctl enable havegedLast edited by joebell (2019-08-12 12:02:23)
Offline
shouldn't the optimus system be used when you actually use the official nvidia drivers?
So you didn't read the wiki?
as for the nvidia blob, what's that?
The proprietary driver.
Offline
shouldn't the optimus system be used when you actually use the official nvidia drivers?
So you didn't read the wiki?
seems I'll have to read it again...
Offline
I had a similar issue with gdm and gnome. For me, the solution was to install and enable haveged.
pacman -Sy haveged systemctl enable haveged
doesn't change anything for me ![]()
Offline
seth wrote:shouldn't the optimus system be used when you actually use the official nvidia drivers?
So you didn't read the wiki?
seems I'll have to read it again...
Ok, then after reading the doc, optimus doc is to be followed and applied for nvidia drivers users.
For the nouveau driver users, got to follow the PRIME doc which I did.
drivers loaded fine :
Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x67 cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 4 outputs: 4 associated providers: 1 name:Intel
Provider 1: id: 0x3f cap: 0x5, Source Output, Source Offload crtcs: 0 outputs: 0 associated providers: 1 name:nouveauBut still boot delay (no freeze yet, but haven't had time to use gpu intensive apps)
Offline
Does blacklisting nouveau prevent these issues? Is it currentliy configured to offload to the nvidia GPU or do you utilise DRI_PRIME=1 on an as needed basis?
Offline
Ok, then after reading the doc, optimus doc is to be followed and applied for nvidia drivers users.
No.
optimus is the trademark for the HW config
w/ nouveau you can use prime (though the article seems to suggest it also works w/ the blob, but I'm not sure about that at all)
bumblebee supports either driver
nvidia-xrun only works w/ the blob.
Offline
Does blacklisting nouveau prevent these issues? Is it currentliy configured to offload to the nvidia GPU or do you utilise DRI_PRIME=1 on an as needed basis?
yes blacklisting all nvidia drivers solves the problem, but then no nvidia GPU...
Offline
b) try the nvidia blob
Offline
seth wrote:b) try the nvidia blob
ok. as soon as I find that, I'll try.
Offline
seth wrote:seth wrote:b) try the nvidia blob
ok. as soon as I find that, I'll try.
I have the same problem with msi ps63 modern RD. way to use only nvidia card is described here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … phics_only
but in this case laptop has short battery life. Another way is using only intel graphics. You should delete other drivers for this. Disabling nvidia card with bbswitch leads to normal battery life.
So i think that there is problem with nouveau.
Also i have problems with touchpad. It doesn't work after suspend.
Last edited by absalart (2019-11-20 12:32:23)
Offline
upgrade to latest nvidia-dkms solved the problem.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Offline