You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-12 16:55:18

LordRusk

Installing A Program From A Tar.gz File

Hello everyone,

So, I just switched from mint to arch recently, and am trying to get everything setup. For this though, i need to install a certain version of java, version 8u162, which you can find here (https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java … 77648.html)

The only download files that are available are a .rpm file and a .tar.gz, so i went about trying to install but makepkg gave me an error, I later found out this is because the .tar.gz file isn't a install-able on arch without hand compiling it. Though, back when i was on mint, there was a tool called java-package. This would automatically compile java .tar.gz packages like that on all debian and debian based distros. Even though i couldn't find something like it, does it exist for arch? and if not is there a tool i can use to compile this file and install it? or how would i go about compiling it myself?

Thanks for any help you can give, cheers.

#2 2019-08-12 17:25:51

Slithery
Administrator

Re: Installing A Program From A Tar.gz File

Edit the jre8 package from the AUR to point to that specific version before building and installing it.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2019-08-12 17:53:48

LordRusk

Slithery wrote:

Edit the jre8 package from the AUR to point to that specific version before building and installing it.

Thank you for the reply, it had the right version, but it gave me this error (Failure while downloading http://download.oracle.com/otn-pub/java … x64.tar.gz
    Aborting...), when i went to the link it says "Sorry! In order to download products from Oracle Technology Network you must agree to the OTN license terms."

Any solutions? thanks for your help.

#4 2019-08-12 18:28:39

V1del
Forum Moderator

Download the file locally, adjust the source to take the local file instead of a remote url (just remove the protocol identifiers and have the source file in the same directory)...

FWIW are you sure you need this and that you can't actually run whatever you need to run using the openjdk version?

#5 2019-08-12 20:22:45

LordRusk

V1del wrote:

Download the file locally, adjust the source to take the local file instead of a remote url (just remove the protocol identifiers and have the source file in the same directory)...

FWIW are you sure you need this and that you can't actually run whatever you need to run using the openjdk version?

I would try different versions, but whenever i try to install any other version than the versions in the defualt repos, it gives me the same error. any other fixes / how would i do the fix you cited above?

#6 2019-08-12 22:50:19

loqs

What changes have you made to the PKGBUILD?  What files have you downloaded and placed in the same directory as the PKGBUILD?

Board footer