You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-12 23:10:43

wakeupbomb

sylpheed-claws

After updating a load of stuff through pacman, xfce4, kernel...etc it appears that sylpheed-claws doesn't work anymore...I dunno if sylpheed-claws got updated. The error message is this. Haven't seen a shared library error for a while.

sylpheed-claws: error while loading shared libraries: libpisock.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Just gonna see if sylpheed still works

#2 2004-03-12 23:12:29

wakeupbomb

Re: sylpheed-claws

Ok sylpheed still works so i'll use that

#3 2004-03-13 16:37:06

anamesa

Seems new sylpheed-claws 0.9.10 has been compiled with pilot-link as a dependency. Try "pacman -Sy pilot-link" and then sylpheed-claws will work flawlessly. Pilot-link is not big, though useless to me.  I think it should actually not be a sylpheed-claws dependency. You may file a bug report for the sylpheed-claws package maintainer, because the pilot-link should show as a dependency for sylpheed-claws and be automatically downloaded by pacman.

#4 2004-03-14 00:30:01

neri
Forum Fellow

anamesa wrote:

Seems new sylpheed-claws 0.9.10 has been compiled with pilot-link as a dependency. Try "pacman -Sy pilot-link" and then sylpheed-claws will work flawlessly. Pilot-link is not big, though useless to me.  I think it should actually not be a sylpheed-claws dependency. You may file a bug report for the sylpheed-claws package maintainer, because the pilot-link should show as a dependency for sylpheed-claws and be automatically downloaded by pacman.

Hi anamesa and wakeupbomb:

as written here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=18382#18382
i tried to include jpilot stuff and just overlooked the pilot-link stuff. sorry.
will fix until monday.

bye neri

#5 2004-03-14 02:30:32

sarah31
Website

as i had mentioned to the previous maintainer. used to love using sylpheed-claws but then the maintainers started enabling a whole pile of stuff that many users do not even use. what was once a nice small little app has more dependencies than mutt now.

i understand if pilot stuff was requested but if it was just arbitarily decided then that is just not the best approach imo.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2004-03-14 09:26:26

anamesa

sarah31

used to love using sylpheed-claws but then the maintainers started enabling a whole pile of stuff that many users do not even use.

I see your point, but sylpheed-claws is supposed to be the bleeding edge version of sylpheed. One aspect of its functionality is its cooperation with and use of many other different individual apps [eg dillo, clam av etc]. I don't find this annoying. Pilot-link is just one more that is useful to a potentially high percentage of users [but not to me]. If one wants a "nice small little app", then one should use sylpheed instead.

#7 2004-03-14 12:06:08

neri
Forum Fellow

Hi,

let's consolidate your points a bit here. First sarahs reply from the other
thread:

sarah31 wrote:

personally i like the lightness of sylpheed-claws and was very disappointed when the previous (maintainer) forced users to swallow fancy apps for function many of us may not need.
i would say though asking here would only give you a small unbalanced set of opinions. maybe see what other distros do if it appears to be a common add on then by all means included it.

it might give me an unbalanced set, but it gives me the opinion of the arch
users. It's also my job to go with them as far as possible.

sarah31 wrote:

it would be nice if it could be more of a modular function (*can* make use of jpilot stuff if the user has one and jpilot stuff is installed but not  force a user without one to have to swallow depends they may not want)

problem with that will be that I don't have the possibility to extend
dependencies due to the requested options. A wy around might be to make
an sylpheed-claws and a sylpheed-claws-extension package. Though I
don't like to split up too much for terms of simplicity.

anamesa wrote:

sarah31

used to love using sylpheed-claws but then the maintainers started enabling a whole pile of stuff that many users do not even use.

I see your point, but sylpheed-claws is supposed to be the bleeding edge version of sylpheed. One aspect of its functionality is its cooperation with and use of many other different individual apps [eg dillo, clam av etc]. I don't find this annoying. Pilot-link is just one more that is useful to a potentially high percentage of users [but not to me]. If one wants a "nice small little app", then one should use sylpheed instead.

The problem with sylpheed-claws and functionality is, that many things are
not in the libs but in the binary itself. So I will fiddle with it a bit an will
so what can be done. So far I will leave out jpilot.

bye neri

#8 2004-03-15 07:27:21

sarah31
Website

well i know that some of the features that the last maintainer added were just incluuded as make depends than i believe he just had a .install file to inform people that if they wanted to have these feature they just install the supporting packages (clamav, etc). but by the sounds of it jpilot may not have such a modular function.

personally since you added jpilot i would just leave it now as removing the feature may now get you in just as much trouble. just add the depends though so that one does not get the warning. if somebody really does not want it around they will either file a bug or remove it themselves through abs.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer