You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-13 11:04:02

Tumultus

Chromium, Google Chrome and Pinta issues

So far, I haven't run into any issues on my Arch install since I switched a few months ago from Debian. Still, there are 2 little annoyances that bother me since I am using those apps regularly. I have been searching for a solution for a few weeks now here and in other forums but I either couldn't find anything or things were written so confusing that I couldn't even tell if it was related to my issue or not.

Chromium / Google Chrome short-term freezes

Whenever I open either of those browsers, the interface seems to freeze up for a few seconds when I open the main menu or click on bookmarks. At first everything works. Then a couple of seconds later, the item I just hovered over in the menu (or bookmark) stays highlighted. My mouse and even the website is still responsive, I can interact with it just fine. The freeze doesn't last long; just 2, 3 seconds or so and then everything works normal again.

Not sure where to start trouble shooting. It only happens in those 2 browsers. Chromium is from the official repository, Google Chrome from the AUR.

Pinta freezes on close

Pinta is even worse. When I try to close the program, it freezes up and I have to force a shutdown.

I had none of those issues under Debian. Can anyone help me to fix this? Keep in mind, I am not very experienced, so, let me know what I need to do in case you need any additional output or logs.

Listing spec's is not a review!

#2 2019-08-13 14:46:55

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Chromium, Google Chrome and Pinta issues

Can you provide a bit more information?  I use i3wm and Intel graphics with the modesetting driver and see no such issues with Chromium.
Also, what extensions have you enabled for Chromium?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2019-08-13 14:58:54

Tumultus

Re: Chromium, Google Chrome and Pinta issues

I only have Adblock Plus installed. Even if I remove or deactivate it, the issue persists. When launching Chrome from the terminal, the same thing happens, too. At least in the terminal, I receive an error after closing the browser:

[1,1551404032:14:48:13.584781] Native Client module will be loaded at base address 0x0000108d00000000
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100    74    0    74    0     0    291      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   337
[14103:14120:0813/094840.048994:ERROR:browser_process_sub_thread.cc(203)] Waited 7 ms for network service

That would indicate that there is an issue with the network connection. I have a Broadcom Wireless card and it seems to perform just fine, so, that can't be it.

With Pinta, I get no errors but I just noticed that I do not have the freezing issue if I launch it via terminal. The issue only seems to show when I use the right-click on a file and select "Open width" in Nautilus. The image then opens properly and I can work on it but, once I hit the Save button and then close the program, it freezes. However, the image does get saved.

Listing spec's is not a review!

Board footer