You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-18 15:06:17

pezcurrel

Some xfce4 "system monitor" plugins cause video and games stuttering

Hi, I just wanted to share this: I had video playback (vlc, mpv, mplayer) and games (Talos, Soma, Amnesia) stuttering with xfce4. Today I've found out it was caused by some xfce4 "system monitor" plugins I used: xfce4-sensors-plugin, xfce4-cpugraph-plugin, xfce4-systemload-plugin, xfce4-diskperf-plugin. Each one of these plugins alone (I tried) causes strong video and games stuttering (with the exception of xfce4-cpugraph-plugin, that causes more occasional but still frequent stuttering). xfce4-cpufreq-plugin and xfce4-netload-plugin don't cause any stuttering. I don't know about other "system monitor" plugins, these are the ones I used.
I solved the problem by removing them all from the panel and installing xfce4-multiload-ng-plugin-gtk2, that nicely covers all the monitoring work previously done by the others without causing any stuttering (xfce4-multiload-ng-plugin-gtk3 works too, but when it is put into a self-hiding panel there's an annoying time during which it shows no graphs every time the panel gets visible). I also tried conky and it works very well too, causing no video and games stuttering even when it is full of objects. BTW I have xfwm4 compositor enabled with "vblank_mode=auto" and I don't use nvidia's "ForceCompositionPipeline" nor "ForceFullCompositionPipeline".

Last edited by pezcurrel (2019-08-18 16:06:06)

Board footer