You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-18 14:53:30

CaptainDaVinci

System freezes randomly

Hello, I have been using Arch for about a year now. Few months back I encountered a problem where in the system freezes randomly (could be because of a kernel update, but I am not sure). The best description of my issue I could find is here (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=217015) but let me copy it:

Error description
* system suddenly freezes and reacts to nothing, only hard reset (power off) works ([edit] I have sysrq enabled, it doesn't react to magic REISUB keys)
* the display is not updating anymore (no black screen or broken image just the last one)
* if music was playing during the freeze, you get to listen to approx. the latest 2s repeated for ever

Possible causes
As in the post above, the causes are very similar for me:
It can happen after 3min of working, or after 10h or more. It is most often caused when I "really" want to work (e.g. having mails opened, music, web browser, editor, etc.).

Laptop information
* Model: HP Pavilion Notebook.
* CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5010U CPU @ 2.10GHz
* Kernel: 5.1.5-arch1-2-ARCH

Following contains journalctl logs when the freeze occurred (at around Aug 18 19:10)

Note: I was using linux-lts 4.19.46-1, prior to linux 5.1.5.arch1-2, which had the same problem. On rebooting after system freeze, I see a message about a "A start job is running for /dev/sda4..." during systemd initialization. (sda4 is my home partition). 

Any help in debugging the issue is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by CaptainDaVinci (2019-08-18 14:59:00)

#2 2019-08-18 20:59:59

Morn

Re: System freezes randomly

It might be caused by the graphics driver or the way the GPU is used by the GUI, so I would start by experimenting with that.

The last time I had similar freezes, I simply switched from KDE/X to Gnome/Wayland and the problem was solved. Apparently Wayland is different enough from X that it did not run into the same issue that X had with the AMDGPU driver. (Now a few months later I am back on X again and everything is fine.)

#3 2019-08-19 12:55:56

axelgenus
Website

Are you able to login through SSH while the system is not responding? I have the same problem on my home server and it is caused by network load (I use it as a video-recorder for my surveillance cameras). In my case the system is completely frozen and nothing can be done except reboot.

#4 2019-08-20 17:30:41

CaptainDaVinci

@Morn Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it out. I am currently using i3/X so I guess I will have to switch to sway/wayland.
@axelgenus I haven't tried login via SSH, I will try that out as well.

Board footer