You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-16 11:22:25

Cretain

[solved]Print jobs stay in Queue but nothing is printed

Hi there.

I recently installed CUPS. At first everything looked good, the server started and i was able to add printers with the browser or KDE-Control center.
I tried to add an Epson Stylus C86, which is connected at my USB Port. It really looked good too, cups automatically found the printer on the usb-port and suggested the right driver. I added it, configured it and tried to print a test page.
The job was added correctly in the queue but nothing happened. it was just pending there.
I took a look at the error log but there wasnt anything suspicious, so i set the logging level to debug and tried again. After reading through that (now very long) log again, i still wasnt able to find anything false or any error.
Im a bit clueless now, no errors, smooth install and no signs of anything wrong.
Maybe someone here has an idea about that...i really hope so wink

bye
Cretain
(Excuse my english if there are any errors, its not my native language)

#2 2006-08-16 12:05:06

curana
Website

Re: [solved]Print jobs stay in Queue but nothing is printed

I had at least the same symptom on my BSD server: check if you have ghostscript installed. I needed it for using my HP DeskJet USB printer.

You could post the logfile here beginning of the start of the job.

#3 2006-08-16 12:30:22

Cretain

Ghostscript is already installed.

- deleted the endless part of the logfile -

#4 2006-08-16 12:32:09

Cretain

hm ok, seems  that that log is a bit too long for a single post... Its just the beginning up there, the complete log of that job is much longer.

#5 2006-08-16 13:14:50

curana
Website

And you switched on the printer before you started cupsd, right?

But this is not the testpage-log, is it? Mine was much shorter at this time...

If there is no error at all, maybe you are checking the wrong printer and your colleague has 300 cups-testpages now smile (stupid joke, sorry)

#6 2006-08-16 18:38:35

Cretain

The printer is plugged at my usb port, where cups automatically finds the right printer if i want to add it, so there cant be another printer.And yes its turned on, and yes its the job log for the test page...i think its that long because it stays pending in the queue which auto retrys that job...at least i think that.

#7 2006-08-16 22:16:25

Kern

suggested the right driver

i recently updated cups and gutenprint. it also suggested the "right driver". which i chose. "recommended" i think it said. yes, it was visible as a printer, turned on and the job queued.

it didnt work.

tried another driver looking carefully at the options eventually finding one that suited more by trial and error than educated judgement.

maybe try adding gutenprint (formerly gimp-print) and the C86 EN +gutenprint option if you havent already.

and yes, if it fails it will auto retry again and again.

have a quick look in /etc/rc.conf and make sure you have cups in there like so

DAEMONS=( #/blah blah blah/# ..  network crond cups alsa)

hth

kern

#8 2006-08-17 06:14:53

Cretain

i added cups to rc.conf right after install, otherwise i wouldn't be able to configure it in the browser too wink
But thanks for the hint with the drivers, a colleague said the printer might just be labeled as a C86, but being instead a C84 or lower. I will try some stylus Cxx - drivers through later on .

bye
Cretain

#9 2006-08-17 08:40:11

onearm
Website

Sometimes this problem has happened to me too. It ended up as being a misconfiguration of cupsd.conf related to the permissions (not giving my user/group the permission to print or requiring a wrong type of authentication). Check it, maybe it's the same with you

To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three persons, two of them absent.
--
My Github

#10 2006-08-17 16:51:32

Cretain

Thanks a lot, it were the permissions , which weren't set correctly. Now i have some minor error message at startup, but i guess i just mistyped something. thanks again...problem solved wink

Board footer