You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-14 12:00:01

gs

/dev/usb/scanner0?

This device or anything similar does not appear.

This would appear to be the device I need for my Epson scanner. I have looked through the other forum postings, and I have got through the other hurdles, including cups.

Is there a command for creating the device? Certainly the test commmands I have run have recognised the scanner but the xsane frontend wil not work yet, and that appears to be down to the saned deamon connecting the information together.

I have modified saned. conf by inserting my maching thingy, 127.0.0.1 as per localhost.

Can anyone guide me on this? :?:

What the beep was that?

#2 2004-03-14 17:44:42

Win

Re: /dev/usb/scanner0?

Hi gs.

[I'm away from my Arch Linux machine right now, otherwise I'd give you more specific data, but the following should get you on the road.]

Setting up scanner depends (a) on the scanner (and there are differences among the Epson product line); and (b) the kernel.  I've set up scanning under kernel 2.4.x and 2.6.x for an Epson 1240U.

You should first check the large set of sane-related documentation; and Epson scanner-related documentation for Linux.  You'll probably find more than enough there to get things working.

http://www.sane-project.org/
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ljm/SANE-faq.html
http://www.freecolormanagement.com/sane/news.html
http://www.xsane.org/

If you can read Spanish or Russian, here are two very clear 'from scratch' explanations of setting up scanning:

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/article620.html
http://bulma.net/body.phtml?nIdNoticia=1031&nIdPage=2

I used the following to help with 2.6.x kernels:

http://khk.net/sane/libusb.html

Regards,

Win

#3 2004-03-14 17:57:00

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Do www.google.com/linux stick in your scanner type and search for your front end & back ends  lol

Mr Green

Mr Green

#4 2004-03-14 23:45:53

gs

Hi Win and Mr Green,

I have created the device (mknod etc -- the Spanish pages) and I have set up the hotplug methodolgy. There are some files that go with the epson.conf file which I have downloaded (epson.c, epson.h, epson_usb.c and epson_usb.h); and I guess this is the backend proper.

I am not sure, as yet, where they go in the directory structure.

I am probably quite close, and in my experience it is always quite surprising when the magic moment comes.

I guess when this is configured that Kooka and the Gimp scanner interface will come alive, also.

Thanks

gs lol

What the beep was that?

#5 2004-03-15 00:14:32

Win

What kernel are you using?  If you can send me that, I can get you more precise information about setting up the scanner.

Regards,

Win

#6 2004-03-15 00:29:22

gs

Hi Win,

It is 2.6 at least, and I believe 2.63. I have just looked in /boot/ and I see vmlinuz26. I installed widget about a month ago. I am aware as well that I might need some scsi modules.

gs    big_smile

What the beep was that?

#7 2004-03-15 00:31:41

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

uname -a

pacman -Q | grep kernel

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#8 2004-03-15 01:03:29

gs

Thanks

What the beep was that?

#9 2004-03-15 01:08:32

gs

Thanks

What the beep was that?

#10 2004-03-15 02:36:44

Win

Hi gs.

Here's a short-and-sweet recipe for setting up xsane under kernel 2.6.x:

1. Make certain that you've installed the following packages: libusb, sane, xsane. They will probably bring along companion packages.

2. Add the following line to /etc/fstab:

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults,devmode=0666 0 0

3. Reboot the computer.

4. Run the program sane-find-scanner.  This should find your scanner with some relevant product information.  This information is also available in /proc/bus/usb/devices (look for the Epson scanner section).  You will need two pieces of information:
  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.
  # Also you need support for SCSI Generic (sg) in your operating system.
  # If using Linux, try "modprobe sg".

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x010b [Perfection1240]) at libusb:002:002
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
  # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports can't be
  # detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.

The information you need is the vendor and product information.

5. Append a line to /etc/sane.d/epson.conf consisting of the following:

usb vendor-info product-info

In the case above, this would be:

usb 0x04b8 0x010b

6. As root, run xsane.  This should work now.

7. Now as a regular user, run xsane.  This should NOT work yet.  You need to change permissions on the device to make this work properly.  The device specification can be found above represented as 'libusb:002:002'.  You will need to change the permissions, in this case, on /proc/bus/usb/002/002 to something that allows a regular user to have access to.  A very simple way to do this is to add the following line to rc.local:

chown user:group /proc/bus/usb/major/minor

and in this particular case:

chown win:users /proc/bus/usb/002/002

There are a variety of other ways of doing this (for example, setting up a scanner group, writing a shell script to make this ownership change), but this is simple and works.

8. After making this change (as root or using sudo), you should be able to start your scanner as a regular user.

Let me know if you have succeeded with this recipe.

Regards,

Win

#11 2004-03-15 07:42:41

sarah31
Website

yeah basically win is correct. there were some other posts on this matter on this forum late last month so you may want to do a search for those if you run into any troubles. essentially the "problem" comes from the fact that they removed the old generic usb scanner module from the kernel and it is now all controlled via libusb. unfortunately libusb's docs are ..  horrid.

if you have any troubles just ask.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#12 2004-03-15 08:39:08

gs

Hi everyone,

Indeed that was very simple. I did need to reboot after altering rc.local. And Kooka works, but Gimp will need some extra research.  Basically the Acquire submenu only branches out with the screenshot option.

I don't know, but maybe that could be made into a SANE SCANNER HOWTO FOR KERNEL 2.6

This is the last major issue with this installation and it's been a nice adventure. I only had just enough expertise behind me to get going. And another point is that it seems to me that you do acquire a sense of how much exploring you need to do on your own so that you know enough of what your talking about so that you can phrase a question and get help in the forum.

But Arch is real graceful beauty compared with the lumbering Mandrake.

Thanks again Win, Sarah31 and Xentac

gs lol

What the beep was that?

#13 2004-03-15 09:31:49

gs

I have done a bit more investigation and everything works with the following two alterations nulled out:

/etc/hotplug/usermap.conf and /etc/hotplug/usb/epson_scanner.

I made these in accordance with http://khk.net/sane/libusb.html.

Clearly this kernel holds the extra stuff these alterations are designed to work around. Or, they primed the pump and were only needed to kickstart the configuration. This is a point to consider if you write a HOWTO.

I'd be interested in your opinions, because getting things to work by trial and error is not quite good enough for me.

What the beep was that?

#14 2004-03-15 16:52:39

sarah31
Website

a how to for usbscanners would be a very good idea.

my setup was very simple in the end (i didn't even bother with hotplug) but it took two days of trail and error to get there.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#15 2004-03-15 17:38:47

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

So why do you need Hotplug...?

Mr Green

Mr Green

#16 2004-03-15 19:42:56

gs

I have had another look at http://khk.net/sane/libusb.html and my Epson Perfection 610 is an old model. Hotplugging it seems is only worthwhile when your machine is state of the art and the kernel loaded module does not cover it. Apparently, with Mac OSX the kernel doesn't contain any support, and hotplugging is needed in all cases.

I gather that the hotplugging route is possible ffor the sheer hell of it. Certainly, I may need to use it if I install usb memory sticks or cards.

But yes, I didn't comprehend (or read) the notes, earlier. yikes

What the beep was that?

#17 2004-03-15 20:42:49

Win

You don't need to use hotplug, at least with 2.6.x kernels.  The recipe provided earlier for the 2.6.x kernels doesn't use directly or rely on hotplug.

Regards,

Win

#18 2004-03-16 00:53:35

galen
Website

just subscribing to thread
tongue

Off to using Peanut and Slackware, no hard feelings but I need my CD to burn, PDA and scanner to connect and arch won't do it.

[img]http://www.flightsimhq.org/images/war-is-bushit_s.jpg[/img]

#19 2004-03-17 00:01:52

gs

I made some small changes to /etc/hosts in order to get postfix and sendmail going (I want to build faxmail).

Now xsane failed on me. So I logged into KDE as root and restarted xsane... it worked!!

But after rebooting and logging in as gs (my user name, yes!) xsane continues not to start.

I have rechecked /etc/sane.d/ and rc.local.

The one difference that I am aware of compared to last time that I primed the pump is that I did null out the hotplugging.

Indeed, I have re-establised the hotplugging and unplugged and plugged the scanner in and that fails. I have also now nulled out the line in /etc/groups that gave permission to gs as part of the hotplugging, in case that conflicted with chown command in rc.local. I have rebooted and it still fails.

It seems to me one option is to uninstall and re-install xsane, say. But some of the subscribers to this thread may have a handy idea about what setting got has been automatically written and that can now be altered by hand... because that is what seems to have occurred.

Any ideas? :?

What the beep was that?

#20 2004-03-17 00:38:11

gs

Indeed I have gone that stage further and removed xsane and reinstalled it... same again it works for root but not for the user gs.

I, of course, see the chown command noted in the listing in the final stages of booting up. I do have /etc/innitab adjusted so that KDM is run automatically. :?

What the beep was that?

#21 2004-03-17 00:54:29

dp
Website

if it works as root and not working as user, then it's this:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … anner+root

who is going to add this to WIKI? :-)

EDIT: a much more primitive method to have it working is this (the way i did)

add as last line to /etc.rc.local this:

chmod -R a+rw /proc/bus/usb/*

as i said, it is not a good solution (making all in /proc/bus/usb readable for everyone), but it works extremly great for me wink

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#22 2004-03-17 02:34:47

gs

Hi dp,

I went over to the other thread and was inspired by Sarah31's comments. My device number had dropped down, and I changed my chown description by inserting the -R prefix  and got it working that way. I also followed Sarah31's comments about the entry in fstab. I put in a fuller report, there.

thanks
gs

What the beep was that?

#23 2004-03-17 09:03:42

dp
Website

gs wrote:

Hi dp,

I went over to the other thread and was inspired by Sarah31's comments. My device number had dropped down, and I changed my chown description by inserting the -R prefix  and got it working that way. I also followed Sarah31's comments about the entry in fstab. I put in a fuller report, there.

thanks
gs

great, nice to hear :-)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Board footer