You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-25 09:22:18

Ninjananas

i3 - can't resume after suspend

Hi !
I have recently installed Arch Linux on my laptop, and I'm experiencing trouble suspending the system to RAM under the i3 window manager.

The problem is, when I'm using i3 and I suspend to RAM (either with systemctl suspend or with echo mem > /sys/power/state), the system does suspend, but when resuming I have a frozen black scren and I can't do anything, not even change the tty I'm in.

I tested to suspend in a simple tty and in awesome wm, and it works well ! Even if i3 is open in another tty, suspending works fine in those environments.

I should probably say that I start i3 directly with startx (I don't use any display manager). The only thread I found online is this one but it's not very helpful and I don't want a display manager.

Thanks for helping !

#2 2019-08-25 09:33:16

Slithery
Administrator

Re: i3 - can't resume after suspend

Post your ~/.xinitrc

Off topic - Are you ninja nanas or ninja bananas? Your username conjured up both images to me smile

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2019-08-25 10:19:59

Ninjananas

My ~/.xinitrc is quite straightforward :

exec i3

I launched awesome the same way ( exec awesome ) and as I said suspend worked well, so I guessed it's sufficient...

I'm a ninja and I'm a pineapple (ananas is the french word for pineapple) smile

Last edited by Ninjananas (2019-08-25 10:23:37)

#4 2019-08-25 11:00:20

Slithery
Administrator

Your ~/.xinitrc is incorrect. Read the xinit wiki page to see what it should look like.

PS - Thanks for the username explanation smile

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#5 2019-08-25 11:34:19

Ninjananas

Thanks for pointing this out, I fixed my ~/.xinitrc (copied the one in /etc and changed the programs at bottom to exec i3), but the problem is still there...

#6 2019-08-28 14:00:57

qinohe

Hey there, you should work your way through https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Po … nsistently ,if you haven't already done that, but I guess you didn't since there's no evidence of that in this thread;) also (if it didn't help) work through the page behind 'best practices to debug suspend issues'

Board footer