You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-06 21:22:30

Xnu

Problem installing Arch due to Wifi Chipset [SOLVED]

Edit: Solution was to use the USB Tethering option on Phone to get an internet connection on Linux.

Also followed the link: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Android_tethering

Once you plug in the USB you will have to set the interface up with: ip link set <interfacename> up after that you will have to restart the dhcpcd.service daemon in order for Arch to grab an IP. Thank you for your help progandy.

Hello guys,

I've been trying all sort of different methods to get Arch installed on a Desktop PC with a USB-WIfi Chipset but with no success.

Let me give you a bit of a background story so you understand the situation better. This Desktop does not have Ethernet access and that is not an option to get right now.

What it does have is a AC1900 plugged into it (Link: https://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DWA-192) - meaning that this should allow it to access Wifi. (The System is dual with another Linux Distribution, where after compling the driver with the "make" command, it works)

The chipset in this device is RTL8814AU - which is not officially supported by GNU Linux just as of yet but there are GitHub Repos to fix this issue.

The Dilema:

1. I am unable to actually install any packages with "pacman" as there is no internet connection for the Live USB from which I am installing.

2. I am unable to compile the driver since the Live Boot does not have the "make" command integrated.

3. I have tried bringing the .pkg.tar.xz files for "make" and its depencencies over and trying to install those via "pacman -U" but that did not work out as planned.

4. I have tried passing through a internet connection from a Laptop connected to the Wifi through an Ethernet cable into the Desktop to act as a router of sorts but that did not work out.

I think the main key is to somehow make that Chipset work on the Live USB, and from there it should be easy to install the "make" command on /mnt (after mounting sdxy onto /mnt and chroot) and configure the Chipset Driver for the live environemnt.

I have no more ideas on what to do with this issue, so as a last resort I am asking you guys for ideas, or advice if you have delt with anything similar.

PS: not sure if this should go in Hardware or Instalation.

Last edited by Xnu (2019-09-07 09:59:14)

#2 2019-09-06 22:30:44

progandy

Re: Problem installing Arch due to Wifi Chipset [SOLVED]

Welcome to the Arch Linux forum.

Since you have a working linux installation, you can use a chroot environment to run the install scripts.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … commended)

Your point #4 or usb tethering to a phone and using that should be the next best option if you don't want to buy a better supported wifi device.

As for compiling, you need the complete base-devel group including all dependencies as well as the linux-headers for the same version as your kernel. I suggest you use the AUR packages (rtl8814au-dkms-git or rtl88xxau-aircrack-dkms-git) for the permanent installation.

Edit: This belongs either in Newbie Corner or Installation I think, but I don't make these decisions smile

Last edited by progandy (2019-09-06 22:37:21)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#3 2019-09-06 22:54:31

Xnu

Hello progandy,

Thank you for your reply. I will try this and then get back to you with a result.

I do like the phone idea. Hopefully it does the job, as I've been on this issue for a while now.

Will look into running the install scripts as well.

#4 2019-09-07 09:54:15

Xnu

Progandy thank you for your help. I have fianlly made it work. Great Idea. I will mark the thread as resolved.

Board footer