You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-11 13:06:24

Archnem

KDE Initial Install - Cannot Boot..

Installed KDE as first and only DE after initial install, luks, I was able to boot into GUI after initial install ( no reboot) , upon reboot I was prompted with standard luks password prompt, I enter correctly and after that the screen changes to a lower fontsize however repeats the same message which was already stated : words to the effect of : enter password, password accepted. At that moment the screen hangs with a cursor blinking..this is it.

I do not know how to progress from this point, live boot or else..

Any help would be GRATEFULLY appreciated..

Thank you VERY much in advance to anyone whom responds to this.

Peace2@LL

#2 2019-09-11 13:32:16

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: KDE Initial Install - Cannot Boot..

What is supposed to start after successful  decryption? Does pressing buttons while in this hanging situation help?

#3 2019-09-11 13:45:52

zpg443

You need to provide more information if you want help.

What is your display manager (xorg?), the selections made for KDE system settings.

Did you change your DE so it does not launch at start-up, so you can check the system settings?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KD … ing_Plasma

#4 2019-09-12 05:32:55

Archnem

KDE is supposed to start I assume. APologies, truth be told I am a NOOB. Display manager is XORG and I wish I had the selections made for the KDE system settings..I followed a guide and I can't seem to find it again ( not much help I know, apologies ) however it was quite brief. KDE was installed, something else and konsole..I'm really sorry I don;t have better info. Is it possible you can tell me a way to boot into where I can remove this KDE package..? Thanks again.

Peace2@LL

#5 2019-09-12 05:47:07

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2019-09-12 11:58:09

Swiggles

Can you change to another tty and login there? In simple terms if it is still in "terminal mode" you can switch by pressing ALT and some F key which corresponds to their respective tty number. So just press ALT+F2 or ALT+F3 and see if it brings you elsewhere. If X is already running add the CTRL key to the mix, e.g. CTRL+ALT+F2.

If you can login and have a working terminal session you can start undoing your previous config and follow the link provided above:

If this does not work use the installation medium once more and mount your drives in /mnt as described in the installation guide, arch-chroot after and fix it there. Reboot after removing the offending config and continue on your real system as normal.

Edit: Please do not forget to add some log files for further help :-)

Last edited by Swiggles (2019-09-12 11:59:53)

Board footer